IT'S ALIVE!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I removed the old tank, cleaned things up a bit and touched up some of the paint. I installed the new tank and painted the battery box. I have to do some wiring repairs to the alternator connector. Today I picked up my new Bridgestone S11's and put the rear on the rim. Hooray!

The tank did come out pretty easily once I figured out to remove the petcock!

oh thats a big one on tank removal ...iwonder why some of us so called know it all didnt tell you that :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :whistling: :doh: :mrgreen:

Today after doing some work I was able to do a bit on the bike. I soldered the stator connection (plastic connector had a melt down.) Cleaned up and repaired the inner plastic fender, mounted the rear wheel (with new rubber!), and mounted the caliper. I also changed the final drive oil and greased the heck out of the hub splines. She's coming right along!

My 4 year old likes to "help" by walking around with my tools.

Attachments

• 2011-04-11_16-42-52_895.jpg
    2011-04-11_16-42-52_895.jpg
    39.1 KB
Today I added the pump to carb fuel line, did some polishing, cleaned up the exhaust and painted the headers and crossover tube flat black with some high temperature paint, and remounted the exhaust. It's starting to look pretty nice (by my standards). I still have a ton of cleanup to do though. I can't wait to ride this thing!

I cleaned up (somewhat) the saddle bag mounting and luggage rack a bit and installed them back on the bike. The luggage rack I had to just paint black because it was so rusty. I'm working on cleaning up and repairing the trunk, seat, and passenger backrest. The trunk bottom was a bit cracked so I cut a piece of furniture plywood to fit in the bottom and epoxyed it into place. All I have to do is redrill the mounting holes and get some new hardware.

I also FINALLY got that rear master kit ordered. Sheesh.

Anyone know of a good way to recondition and soften dried up vinyl? The passenger backrest is a bit stiff. :thanks:

Put a heavy coat of vaseline petroleum jelly on stiff vinyl to soften. It will take about a week if it's really stiff.

Latest posts