It's one of those 'oh f#*k' moments - HELP PLEASE!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazMan

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Custom GL1200 Bobber
Triumph Rocket 3
You know the feeling - we've all been there .....

I just finished putting the bare bones of my GL1200 together - everything came back from the powder coaters and I was a frenzied wrencher and felt quite pleased that I had done a good day's work on my pride & joy. Until I saw this part which has been forgotten about in the corner of the workshop.
20230817_140530.jpg

It looks like an axle spacer but I don't recall removing it - quite unusual with a slightly flared end. Can anyone identify this please before I lose what's left of my hair?

Last edited:
Looks like the rear axle spacer that someone has beat on to remove and the marks where it was grabbed. They should slide in and out easily.
Might want to see about a new one....

The only problem is that I didn't touch the rear wheel bearings (replaced the cush drive components though) and according to my drawing the spacer (no.4) goes between the bearings - so how can it possibly fall out and get lost? I'm confused :unsure:
honda-gl1200-goldwing-1984-e-f-17-rear-wheel_big3IMG01163749_6160.gif

Last edited:
A little context on the size of that part might help. Hard to tell how large/small it is. On my 1100, the rear bearing spacer looked just like that...a slight flare on one end.

I really appreciate the ideas guys. ;)It looks like the part labelled (4) in the drawing above and slips nicely over the rear axle (20mm diameter?) If I had been rebuilding the rear wheel I would be tearing it all apart again by now, but the rear wheel was in such good shape I just replaced it back into the swing arm without any rework.
I'm starting to think it is a red herring which somehow found its way to me in a box of other parts.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I had the rear wheel out of my GL1100 but I kind of remember that there was an axle spacer like that in the final drive unit. I don't recall that it was slightly flared on one end but I remember it fell out onto the floor I wondered where did this come from.