joedrum 83 1100 project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
first joedrum custom dresser ....nickname .... angry dresser....unless someone got a better choice just speak up.....the 83 1100 is hanging in the doghouse just waiting ....its wait is over its getting a cam job starting now .....cant wait to see how this comes out might start tomarrow its suppose to snow

Attachments

• 1210101620.jpg
    1210101620.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 358
Pretty cool there Joe, I wish I had a 82 or 83 because the slow jets aren't pressed in the carbs like the 81, I got them out easy enough but it's nicer to unscrew them..Nice bikes... I like.. :grin:

threw all the searching i've done looking at specs and such on four cylinder wings its plain to see that the mildness cams are the 1100 cams .....i'm way into this now about cams and such especially after seeing how much noise and stuff can come from there ......

i'm thinking of trying the 1200 cams out as they have some good features in specs .....it would be neat to see what kind of impact they might have on the 1100 with its even bigger exhaust valve in the head of the 1100.....the possible supper low end grunt potential could really wake the 83 gearing up .....its got to bring more power to the table and breath better than the 1100 cams ......

the only hitches to this mod are ....no place to hook up the tack and you would have to use an electric fuel pump.....i've got an electric fuel pump for a 1200 ...i don't if it works yet but i'm going to find out .....maybe dan will try to see if he can put the other 1200 cam in his ride to check it out ....if i was where hes at i wouldn't stop till i had the other cam in .....some kind of gas delivery ......maybe just a full tank of gas and use gravity force for a test wow that sounds simple....it seems im typing a plan right now.....this is as good as done i think.....the 1200 cams deserve there shot as a mod ......

Just be certain the lift isn't so much as to impact pistons with the valves. I'm interested to see where this goes.

vince it seems from the specs i've seen the lift is not as much as the 75 cams i've already tried ..so not much worry there .....its basically a on the mild side cam with twice the overlap as 1100 cams at top dead center when both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time ...which means more intake volume with the same stroke as compared to 1100 cams .....who knows about outcome but it seems promising....

after my dealing with the 1000 cams in the 1100 ....there's huge gain potential in this area with almost interchangeable cams over the yrs :mrgreen:

hi scratch i'm glad the summer went great for you ....its good to hear from you yea the 1100 dresser with 1000 cams moves out big time ...this was like a test for the 1200 project and the outcome was great ....just to much fun on this one .....the angry dresser :rant: :mrgreen:

scratch down low there's a little fall off torque but its small and with the 1100 carbs its still real smooth .....when the power comes on now it pulls strong and don't quit till you go for another gear ....its sucking the snot out of the carbs and growls loud like an angry beast .....i couldn't be happier ...i've put in 100 miles maybe sense done :mrgreen:

joedrum":39g0q522 said:
scatch down low theres a little fall off torque but its small and with the 1100 carbs its still real smooth .....when the power comes on now it pulls strong and dont quit till you go for another gear ....its sucking the snot out of the carbs and grauls loud like an angry beast .....i couldnt be happier ...ive put in 100 miles maybe sense done :mrgreen:
Hey Joe....Why are you so strange? ha ha :smilie_happy:

my mom tried everything ....it didn't work .....now shes my number one fan .....i'm just a strange one that like to beat on everything like bam bam from the flintstones now i get paid for it :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: i march to the beat of a different drummer :Doh2: no wait i am the different drummer :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: gee beaver i don't know i'm confused here :mrgreen:

joedrum":1abuuhpu said:
my mom tried everything ....it didnt work .....now shes my number one fan .....im just a strange one that like to beat on everything like bam bam from the flintstones now i get paid for it :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: i march to the beat of a different drummer :Doh2: no wait i am the different drummer :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: gee beaver i dont know im confused here :mrgreen:
Ok.. just checking I guess I'm a little strange too..I was only checking the humor on this site, thank's :grin:

littlebeaver":5wt2rf9j said:
Ok.. just checking I guess I'm a little strange too..I was only checking the humor on this site, thank's :grin:

HUMOR...THERE'S NO HUMOR IN CLASSIC GOLDWINGS!! (Quote I think thats from Tom Hanks in "League of Their Own) :smilie_happy:
Hey, if we couldn't laugh with each other, we would never be able to keep these old bikes going! Some of the stories here will keep you laughing for a long time! :smilie_happy:

well it been snowing here and i haven't done much except realize that 1200 cam is not an option im going to do i got all that info wrong but now that that's out of the way i can get more focus .....the 82 is running so well with its new cam change mod its hard for me to do any thing else to it including changing to 1000 ignition ...

im going to make a cover of some kind to cap the end of the 1000 cam that sticks out and take the 1000 ignition housing off....

as soon as i can get at it i'm putting another set of 1000 cams in the 83 i'm doing this the same way as the other 1100 .... :fiddle: :mrgreen:

the cams i used were from a 75 1000 ....but all the cams from yrs 75-77 have the same grind ....there listed as 371 cams but none of them have that stamped on them ....they didn't start stamping numbers till 78-79 1000 cams there 431 gee i cant remember any way i think that's right .....

the 1000 cam in the pics is a left side 371 cam .....you need to find the fuel pump drive cam you have hopefully that has no number on it .....that should be right side 371 cam....i would love to have those cams :mrgreen:

but more i would like to convince you that you need to do this mod to your bike .....this was a heck of a kick in the pants to this bike ....and it ran good before ....i know my air box is all stock it never seem to make any noise ....now its loud ...like nothing there at all ......the exhaust is stock and quiet till you get into it now its like the air and exhaust battle for sound impact....it just seems that this is where the motor likes to be setup i cant fault it anywhere ....it handles running conditions from good at lower rpm to super in every other rpm zone :rocks: :music: :mrgreen:

I've been looking around the garage for the right 1000 cam and can't find it.
At this point it's anyone's guess, might even be in the motor right now. I have to open up that side to look.

well there's a new plan now .....with all the info that's been going on around here....with heads cams and stuff .....and on another forum it was looking like my 1200 project was taking a turn for the worst but last night the scare went the other way to the good side anyway .....

i need to find out for myself about the 1200 motor and take the heads off ....i'm doing this soon and when i do im going to put them like they are on the 83 1100 ....its becoming clear that the hydraulic cam carrier and rockers will not interchange and the problem is on the valve covers and end caps....but it seems the whole head would work just fine i think ...i'm not to deep in this yet.....with the biggest mod being an electric fuel pump ....

so i'm going to go slow but if i don't run into any big unworkable problems this is what i'm going to do .....the 1200 head got some pluming in it i don't know much about yet till i now more it could be a game changer.....

this just seems like a good thing to try on a 83 1100 with its gearing ....there a good difference between the two cams ....the intake ports are smaller and the exhaust valve is smaller on the 1200 head ....this should bring more low end power and pull ....like for trailers and such and be hydraulic valves ....i have no ideal what this might be like but i'm hoping i can pull this off :builder: :builder: :mrgreen:

Honda used all the same diameter exhaust valves on the flat 4's, at least the diameter is the same i just measured them.
I don't know about the ports.
Intake I can't measure until I pull one out of the head on the shelf and the manual doesn't spec that for the 1200.

I've been into the 1200 heads extensively on Susies 1200 so I know a bit about them and the plumbing.
I was tempted to put an 1100 head on hers and even did a test fit but I didn't want to run up any more costs with another head gasket. Intakes to carbs may have been a problem also.
It's a interesting swap you have planned Joe. If I can be of any input let me know. I have a head on the shelf.

i know you come across a lot of info when looking hard ....and a lot of it is wrong just like opinions ....as i said i've been though this a lot on another forums ...and i could be wrong on the valve size but there was other good info ....it all comes out in the wash one hopes.....yea the 1200 heads intakes are for sure smaller and 1200 intakes covered the ports and then step down and cover another hole that's the on i don't know anything about ...what that is or what would the effect it will do to the switch :mrgreen:

Latest posts