joedrum 83 1100 project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm still on the fence with the cam change .....the 76 cams and heads are so good that these are the ones that i want to use on the 1200 project it would be silly to break them up .....i have another set coming from a 75 ...they should be here any day....so maybe this is the sign to just go ahead and try the 78-791000 cams ...they are much milder and there lift is the shortness of all flat four cams .....

all the yrs i've rode the mongrel it never made valve noise .....so this morning i think i'm going to take the cams out of the mongrel to consider them for the 83 1100

this will be the first time since new that the mongrel has had any wrenching past valves adjustment ,carb rebuild and fuel pump replacement...

with dan checking out the 75-77 1000 cams ...and me not wanting to separate the cams and heads on my 76 cams ....all things line up for 79 cams to be tested ....

it should have the the characteristics of a stock 1200 motor in cam grind.......so im staggering along going one way then another :headscratch: :mrgreen:

we see on the test ride i've got more to do to the 83 than just cam change and ride ....so its not going to be quick.....its hard for me to believe that the 79 cams will be perfect in the 1100 like the 75-77cams are ....anyway that's why i'm spending time on the 1200 ...still thinking...or is it staggering.... :mrgreen:

well i'm done for the day its cold ....i was trying to get the heads off the 1200 and got to the point of taking it off and there stuck big time no telling whats on these heads .......man its like supper glue ....

anybody got any good ideals to loosen them :mrgreen:

Dead blow mallet or a wooden mallet. I put a handle in an 8" length of landscape timber to use for such things.

yae i've been looking for my rubber mallet and cant it yet ....that's my tool of choice ....hay i think i might now where it is :mrgreen:

i didn't find my mallet but i got tough with it and got the heads off :mrgreen:

okay i thought about my 791000 mongruel a lot and all yrs ive hadit it never had valve noise problems ever ....so i took them out today and look at them....best looking cams ive ever seen not one flaw in travel not one spot of bad machining and perfectly smooth.....

the 79 cams i always thought were real close to 1100 cams there not....actualy the 79 cams have the shortess open time of all the cams even 1200s....the 79cams have a higher lift than 1200cams but the 1200 have longer open time ...so its just a debate about which are milder....

anyway i put the 79 cams in the 83 .....it sould bring more low rpm torque to the 1100....theres actualy more difference between 79cams and 1100cams than there is between 75-77cams than 1100cams....so this is going to be a big difference....im wanting it to bring big torque down low ....and with 1100 carbs i think the low end will be smooth and strong ....and with 83 gearing this might be a perfect match...

the low stess level of this cam on the valve trane makes good sense on a tourig bike you might want to go to califrinia on and visit my forum friends .. :mrgreen:

anyway the flip floping over as ive got one cam in already....i know my post are getting real bad mispelled words and words missing bear with me ...im on some real powerful immune surppressing drugs that are hard for me to deal with forgive me ....i cant wait to get off this stuff but i cant right now :heat: :mrgreen:

low miles diffenitly not .....the mongruel is a high milage bike it turned the clock and close to fifty again i think....

yea somthing else...the machining was good originaly i think to start with ......a less stresful cam grind .....and its a perfect example ...if right to begine with as in machining it only gets better ....smooth gets smoother....i did not do anything to these cams ...i couldnt see how i could have improved them....no ridges no anything but smooth...

it was hard not to use them ....obviously some good parts made better over time with oil rocker machining.... :mrgreen:

im sur the grind has a lot to do with the stress the springs get....but that dosnt have anything to do with the bad machining that a lot of the cams show or iguess if the springs were the culprit the hammering might be responsible for the cams conditions ....or both

i think the springs need to be bump up a knoch in tension its just not enough to keep things calm in there....then if the springs weaken with age there still doing the job ....where i think these springs when weaken are to weak to do the job without loosing track of the cam.... :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that these are aluminum heads. Too much spring tension will beat the valve seats in shortening the life of the heads and valve train. :builder:

today im hoping to get the cams switched in the 83 and zipped back up today ....ive only got a few days to work on the wings till i need to work on the doghouse

im pleased so far with all the testing and everything ... all the motors look great so far ....soon im going to take the back wheel an stuff off to deal with the ignition on the 83 ....as soon as beaver fine work on the ignition rehab is ready to be applied to my bike .....

the snow and ice has finaly ended now it mud and slush.... :mrgreen:looks like im going tohave to wait till santa gets here for my own pics hardware ....cant wait for that to happen to finaly post pics of my MBS projects :party: :mrgreen:

cams are in the 83 now ....timed and ready for testing soon as in running .....it will be awhile before any test riding .....we got some melt off but thats over ....it turn cold and i mean cold im done for the day :mrgreen:

joedrum":14wcf6yx said:
ice ice ice ice ...i'm ice in bad .....but that gave me some time to think and start work on the 83 ....i'm getting good at this its all taken down and ready for the cam switch ...... :builder: :builder: :builder: :mrgreen:

okay guys what cam should i go with the 79 that will add more low end grunt :headscratch:

or the 76 cam that will give me high end grunt :headscratch: any thoughts
Bar hoping 79s :blush: ....touring around 76ers :mischief: . :mrgreen: .

dan i use the T mark on the 1100 ....it was the 1200 that was different ......anyway i cant wait to try this combo ...the mongruel had gearing even taller than a 83 1100 and it realy ran and pulled hard and quite fast and out ran a lot of bikes ....so im thinking with an extra 100ccs it will be quite the tour package we will see..hopfuly enough low end grunt to handle a trailor easy...... :mrgreen:

carl 79 cams is what it got.... :builder: :mrgreen:

dan filipi":1c43pgdk said:
I'm getting confused now because you have 2 similar threads going.

What are you doing now? :smilie_happy:
Come on Dan...thats easy...he is working on his '76-'79-'80-'83-'84 engine!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: