Just whining

Help Support ClassicGoldWings:

Daeouse

Reaction score
Hello all.
Been here a long while, mostly lurking over the past few years. So many changes have happened since I owned Freebie, and in a lot of ways for the better. I've got married, bought a house, gotten said wife pregnant, and rode out a nasty bug that's gone around a few times. Things are pretty good.
However, there is a single note that is off in my world. I don't old a classic Wing. I know, big shock, someone crying about a motorcycle (or lack thereof) on a forum, perish the thought! But seriously, I came close several times over the past few years, but I'm not sure how it will be resolved at this juncture. Houses, kids, life, these things are expensive, and there's little room for a motorcycle project that's taking up space.
I say all this, not to cry online (though I guess I am doing that), but to talk with others who've gone through these doldrums and can offer advice to get through these times. I really do like Wings, however the rules of the house (running, good condition, with title) generally put my usual price range above my ability to generate.
Thoughts? Advice? Comments about how I whine too much?

D-50Dave

Reaction score
My experience is different, but the similar. I bought my 'Wing before the life changes you describe. I ended up riding just over 100 miles the last season before I put it into long-term hibernation. Then woke it up when job changes happened that I had a fairly long daily commute. My humble advise is patience. Life continually changes and you will have time to ride in the future, just not now. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Rednaxs60

Reaction score
Congrats on surviving a long list of items. Family first, kids teach us so much, and grow up too fast.

As for the Wing, decide what you want, find it, no compromise. If the bike you want is a project, or ready for the road is not relevant - get the one you want that looks good, key to the purchase and the engine turns over - roadworthy or not. There isn't an older Gold Wing out there that does not need some work.

If a project, do a little at a time, keeps your hand in and when you have it ready, ride it. If it is already roadworthy, proper layup, and ride it when you can. With mine, doing a little at a time, say 2-3 days or less, then put it back together so no one knows it was apart is the key. I always kept it to "what can I do in the shortest amount of time?". Kept the garage clean and the Mrs happy.

Make a budget for the Wing. Brakes, tires, bearings, carb refurbish, and such. Put together a work/maintenance timeline - what you are going to do and when. This will demonstrate to SWMBO that this new acquisition will not be a bottomless money pit, with the exception of Murhy's Law.

Family will take precedence, but having a great project like a Gold Wing to work on keeps the old brain box perculating.

We men have to be inventive/creative, but the family will pay more dividends in the long run then a Gold Wing.

Cheers

Daeouse

Reaction score
You're both most likely right.
The sad part right now is the really messed up market for these bikes, as the hipsters have inflated the Standard GL1100 & 1200 market, the fully dressed ones are either restored, or very ratty indeed, and way too overpriced.

Standard arguments, I know.

kerryb

Reaction score
I feel your pain...had my first bike experience (for the summer) at age 20. Didn't have another until age 52! Filled up the time in between riding bicycles, not fancy over the top bikes, just one good one I kept in perfect trim. My advice would be to keep looking, I have more than enough bikes now, and yet I keep looking and once or twice a year a bike comes along that I just can't pass up. Bought an '82 and an '83 last year because it was too good to pass up. Also, you might want to start enlightening the other half that the least expensive way to bikedom is to do your own work/maintanence. Good compression and a title are my baseline for induction to the herd. Good looking, running, and titled do cost more, but needing brakes or carb work can make them a really good deal.

Reaction score
My Bike Models
64-CA95, 67-CA160, 67-CA77, 82-CM250C, 82-CB450SC, 82-GL500i, 81-GL1100, 82-GL1100i, & Assorted Others
For many of us here, bike collecting and trading has been a way of life since at least our early 20's, if not earlier. But there are quite a lot of folks that still are in their 50's when then get a full-time bike of their own, so you're not alone, by any means. Like "kerryb", I have always had more than I can ride at any one time, but a good deal of time is spent on personal maintenance, and it can end up being an obsession, lol! I have to fight the urge to sell a bike I'm comfortable with when the price is right, but I generally have 2 or 3 more to put back together to keep riding. One bike takes up virtually no room at all, the problem for me is that "one" just isn't in my realm of reality, lol!

Daeouse

Reaction score
The crazy part is, I come across projects constantly, but bikes that don't fit my wife's rules (runs, rides, with title) are verboten. Now, if I buy a bike and strip it down a while after I get it. . .😁

mcgovern61

Reaction score
Rode this baby from '81 until our first child was born in '87:

1981 GN400-2.jpg

Sold the bike in '88 and did not get my first Wing until that "child" got married and moved out in 2007 (although we still had 2 more kids at home). My first Wing was a neat barn find that was given to us. (FYI, there is no such thing as free! That "free" bike cost over $3000. in parts to get back on the road safely!)

1982-2.JPG

Many iterations later, and she became known as "The Slug". Great bike that my girls helped restore and we had many good rides on her. From 2007 to 2021, she saw many miles (over 46,000 + miles added).

KOA 004.jpg

Sadly, in 2021, I had to let her go due to medical complications. It was a great 14 years meeting many folks from this forum and lots for trips up and down the East coast and Midwest.

IMG_1482.JPG