leaking fuel into intake and not starting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaughingMad

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1100
Hi all! I'm working on restoring an 1982 gl1100. Got it to torn over, but fuel is going into the intake in the carbs. I took the carbs off and got a rebuild kit. I heard it might be a stuck needle valve. took all of them out and cleaned them off, shot some carb cleaner into the hole. put it all back together. Tried to start it. it sounded like it might start, then started putting gas into the intake again. From carb 3 i think. the bottom right carb. I am hoping I could get a bit better direction here from you all.

Classic symptom of a float valve not sealing. I have had such bad luck with any float valve needle that isn't oem honda that I won't accept anything but. Your problem could be a sticky float, a little dirt in the seat, or you mismatched a valve & seat so it won't seal. Try cleaning again, maybe polish the seat a little with some metal polish on a q-tip. While you're in there, make sure the float moves freely, and spring-loaded plunger on top of the float needle moves freely. The float level setting is probably ok unless you "fixed" it. My '83 did that to me when I fired it up after being stored since last march, so I shut it down, wiped up the gas and tried again till it worked right. I figured that would work because the needles and seats were new oem ($40.00 each) two years ago and they can stick some after storage.
If your gas tank is rusty, or your fuel filter is missing, it only takes a little spec of dirt to hold a valve open.
Last tip is learning to bench-test floats with the clear tube method. You can watch as fuel rises in the bowls and stops rising in the tube when it shuts off...or rises slowly to overflow when a needle won't seat.

Attachments

• ClearTube.jpg
    ClearTube.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5448.JPG
    IMG_5448.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts