Leaking oil onto my left boot toe

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raywill

Reaction score
My 81 GL 1100 Standard leaks a little oil onto my left riding boot -the big toe area. It looks like the Shifter shaft has a seal but the parts book doesn't list or show one. Before I pull what looks like a seal and probably ruining it beyond reuse. thought I'd check here. Can it be changed without engine disassembly??
Thanx
Ray :beg:

Ray, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Yes there is a seal in the shifter and yes it will leak onto your boot! :smilie_happy:

First, remove your shifter and make sure that the seal hasn't gotten turned sideways. You can try pressing it in all around first to see if that helps. Otherwise, it is easy to replace and, no, you do not have to pull the engine! :heat:

I replaced mine this winter and I just pryed it out.

Before you go pulling seals, make sure the oil is coming from there first! When I first got the bike, I had what I thought was an exhaust leak from my exhaust manifold right side (before I knew about the crush washers ) and tightened up on the nuts. I didn't really notice then that the third stud back was deeper than the other studs. I recently swapped the engine out and found out that the stud was turned in way too far and had actually broken into head which is why I kept getting an oil leak on my boot! :head bang:

Other sources for dribble onto da boots is the valve cover gaskets and the tach cable (on the right side) seal in the fuel pump.

Easiest way I know of to get the shifter seal out is driving a wood screw into it and pull out.
Protect the sealing lip of the new seal by wrapping a thin bit of tape over the shifter shaft splines to keep from nicking the seal.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. The second Honda dealer I called had 2 sealls on the shelf and was only open another hour after my call, and it was work traffic (definitely not rush hour). 1 of them now resides in the bike. Dan, using a screw to remove the old seal did the trick.
The riding boots are only a couple months old... That made it real irritating. They are treated to resist oil, but this is a Gold Wing, not a HD. Oil leaks are not suppossed to be in my vocabulary .
Tomorrow I'll check the fix.
Ray

I just happen to have some photos from the time I changed mine.
Here is the Honda part #. Also the neat little tool I use on just about any seal over a shaft. I think this tool is about $15 now, but it sure makes life easier for me. No more gouging up the sealing surface with screws and screwdrivers or picks. The Lisle tool # is 58430.
3014188804_afe89bf43a.jpg

It hooks in over the inner lip....
3014191924_bb12c99993.jpg

And I used the frame for prying leveage. I already had the guard off while doing other work.
3014195644_381b5d5e5f_b.jpg

Mine leaks there too,but I try to think positively about it;my left boot is now"water proof"and the frame will never rust in that area........

Update: No drops of anything on my boots. :eek:k: Thanks guys.
Vocabulary has Lxxx removed :grin:
Ray

Had it leaked onto my Red Wings I would have been fired up big time. Glad that it worked out in your favor.

I`m thinkin bout wearing my right boot on the left foot for awhile before I change that seal.One water proof boot is not bad but 2 are even better.......I`ll BE somebody then Bubba.First my name in the phone book and now two water proof boots!Man it just keeps gettin better!

raywill":xbqf3i9q said:
Thanks for the quick reply guys. The second Honda dealer I called had 2 sealls on the shelf and was only open another hour after my call, and it was work traffic (definitely not rush hour). 1 of them now resides in the bike. Dan, using a screw to remove the old seal did the trick.
The riding boots are only a couple months old... That made it real irritating. They are treated to resist oil, but this is a Gold Wing, not a HD. Oil leaks are not suppossed to be in my vocabulary .
Tomorrow I'll check the fix.
Ray

When I found oil leaking on my boots, my fix was to install highway pegs on the bike...keeps the oil off!! :smilie_happy:

I was wondering if anyone else besides me could see the most obvious solution to this problem!! :Doh2:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I was wondering if anyone else besides me could see the most obvious solution to this problem!!
ok Joel, I've been waiting.... Got distracted by the Honey-Do list or I'd replied earlier.
Ray

tumunga":27hdeq36 said:
When I found oil leaking on my boots, my fix was to install highway pegs on the bike...keeps the oil off!! :smilie_happy:

:mrgreen:
This IS the most obvious solution, right? :blush: At least it's been working for me for a couple of years now.... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

As long as Mother Honda sells the seal...and they Do, and it is reasonably priced- It was $4 and some change. And now after a trip to the car wash the left exhaust headers and lower frame tube are dry and oil free :clapping: . Thanks again guys for your help and the jollity. :smilie_happy:
Ray

Latest posts