Leaky carb...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bib

Reaction score
I've got a leak on #3 carb at the accelerator pump rod...when you twist the grip gas is squirting upward from around the rod. Bad diaphragm? I've got other work planned for over the winter and was hoping to not have to pull the carbs (83 Interstate w/33k miles). Is it possible to change the diaphragm with the carbs on the bike?

I can't say for sure because I've never done it but it looks like with a right angle phillips screw driver the pump cover can be gotten off and pump diaphragm replaced.
Might be real tricky to get the little spring like booty back in place. That was a bit tough for me even with the rack off the bike but seems doable.

I've got a Chapman gunsmithing screwdriver kit with a right angle ratchet that may just work for this. If I can get it apart I'll get a kit for the accelerator pump. If I have to pull the rack I'll get a full rebuild kit.

Attachments

• ratchet_cropped.jpg
    ratchet_cropped.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 99
  • ratchet_cropped.jpg
    ratchet_cropped.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 95
In my experiences with 1200 carbs, new needle & seat, float bowel gasket, with allan bolts on reassembly, does the trick & bowels can now be removed without pulling the rack, in case of a small piece of something gets on the seat causing a leak . :yes:
Naturally make sure all passages are open, if mileage was not very high the small orings are probably O K, at least in my case. Some times bearing shop, or one of those oring kit's-box of various sizes will keep you away from dealer :good:

Latest posts