• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

looks like I may need a Speedo..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my trip to Monroe City, MO.. about 40 miles outside of Joplin my speedo went full peg and then dropped to not registering any speed or distance.. and as I looked at it yesterday saw I was missing a screw from the face plate.. (not sure that is directly linked or not) ... haven't tested speedo yet to see if it or the drive unit toasted/crapped out.. but just sending feelers out.. speedo for 81 interstate..... 79-81 would fit.. possibly one with about 56k miles... that way it won't be too far off from my original..

Winger 82":3ikweygc said:
dan filipi":3ikweygc said:
I have one for an '81. Let me know if you need it.

Where does Dan get all those wonderful toys :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :party:

I can't just throw stuff away. Every time I do either I need it RIGHT AFTER or someone else can use it which means I have no more room for more "stuff" :smilie_happy:

I also have a '83 speedo :grin:

Is the '83 speedo mechanical like the the '81-'82? I sure would like to see my speedo show higher MPH than 80! This bike can hit 80 MPH in third gear and I know for fact that it goes faster than that. (smooths out real nice at those high rpm's!)

What is the mileage reading on the '83?

mcgovern61":29sm6sk2 said:
Is the '83 speedo mechanical like the the '81-'82? I sure would like to see my speedo show higher MPH than 80! This bike can hit 80 MPH in third gear and I know for fact that it goes faster than that. (smooths out real nice at those high rpm's!)

71,000 on the '81 speedo, 2440 on the '83.
The '83 has a 18 inch wheel, isn't the '81 a 19 inch? Dunno how far that would throw it off. I'm sure there's a calculation but that would just make my head hurt.

dan filipi":37vpjots said:
mcgovern61":37vpjots said:

71,000 on the '81 speedo, 2440 on the '83.
The '83 has a 18 inch wheel, isn't the '81 a 19 inch? Dunno how far that would throw it off. I'm sure there's a calculation but that would just make my head hurt.
Actually, my bike is mostly '82 after the restoration was done except the brakes ('81) and engine ('83). I believe my front wheel is 18". When I was originally going to put the new tires on, I was going to use the '81 wheels but the '81 rear was absolutely destroyed so I went back to the '82 wheels. The Honda dealer said it was a good thing because the '82 tires are smaller (and cheaper) than the '81 tires they would be ordering.

Latest posts