losing power on acceleration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I exited the highway onto surface streets my wing developed an issue. When I get on the gas it sounds like it is missing or flooding, but still seems to keep running. It sounds like it bogs down when I try to accelerate, whether I am at 40 or starting at a light.

I thought maybe I had a loose plug or something, but all the wires are tight. (I pulled each of the wires off of the plugs last night trying to identify my clicking sound.)

I drove it about 3 miles to a friends, let it sit for a couple of hours. Started it (fired right up), then rode it home. It continued to do the same thing until a couple of blocks before I got home, then it cleared up.

????

What is it?

(We should assign a point system for correct answers!!!)

Definitely sounds like a fuel problem. Mine did that once a long time ago. Just the one time, and I figured I had gotten some kind of crap in the carbs that cleared itself after a few miles.
Could also be an ignition issue, such as a loose connection, so ya might want to check the coil connections, and the connector for the pulse generator back there by the stator connection. Hope it was just doo-doo in the carbs that flushed itself. :beg:

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a vacuum leak at my intake manifolds. The o-rings were leaking and whenever I throttled up it would hesitate (and sometimes pop).

I wonder if this fuel filter could have been the problem.

I wonder how long it takes for a fuel filter to crystallize.

I bet they are a lot easier to change if I can figure out how to take the seat off.

Attachments

• fuel filter 2.jpg
    fuel filter 2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 219
  • fuel filter 3.jpg
    fuel filter 3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 223
  • fuel filter 1.jpg
    fuel filter 1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 226
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84374#p84374:10jq370o said:
Omega Man » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:15 pm[/url]":10jq370o]You need to start running 8oz. of ATF in every tank...at least for a while.

~O~
:good: Agreed.

OK. ATF is in the fuel.

When I look down into the gas tank I see little specks of rust on the metal at the bottom. Those wont hurt anything right? It looked like they were not free floating.

Seems fine, but it had cleared up before I actually dug into the filter.

It ran rough for a few miles, cleared up for a few blocks, ran rough for a few blocks, then cleared up.

I can only assume that I must have passed a little piece of that fuel filter through the system and it is gone now.

The clicking sound is still bugging me. But I think it is a hole in one of the seals in the exhaust system.

Since I switched to a thinner oil, it does not slip out of gear anymore under heavy acceleration at high speed.

I am happy.

Been considering an Iron Butt. Anchorage, Fairbanks, Tok, Valdez, Anchorage. 1000 miles. (my wife doesn't want to follow me in the car though.)

Latest posts