losing power on acceleration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alaska Wing I am keen to do it as well, trying to figure out how to incorporate one into my August ride!

Is a puff of blue smoke on startup a common side effect of running ATF? I have run 3 tanks with ATF in them and kept seeing blue smoke on startup, it finally dawned on me that the two might be related! I dont want to be doing this ---> :deadhorse:

I used to use ATF to decarbonise rings and valves by revving the engine and dribbling ATF into the carby while holding the revs up (you can also use water and without the fuse a smoke) and you would think you were operating a smoke machine. Blue smoke is normally a sign of engine oil burning in the engine (worn rings, leaky valve stem seals etc).

Though the carbs straight. I suppose smoke would be white. Mixed with fuel it's just like a little oil burning.

If your putting 8 oz. to the tank, try cutting back to six oz and see if it smokes as much. What altitude are you operating in ? If your continuously above 6500 feet you need to set your carbs on about one round out on the air/fuel screws, some call them pilot screws.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86587#p86587:3m6szd2x said:
backlander » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm[/url]":3m6szd2x]If your putting 8 oz. to the tank, try cutting back to six oz and see if it smokes as much. What altitude are you operating in ? If your continuously above 6500 feet you need to set your carbs on about one round out on the air/fuel screws, some call them pilot screws.
Agreed! :good:

Thanks, I'll cut back a bit on the ATF, normally I run at about sea level, anchorage is a waterfront city.

Luckily we were in a protected area from the tsunami that wiped out Kodiak and Seward in 64 from the 9.2 earthquake. We do have a place called Earthquake Park where you can see where the ground rose in one place about 10 feet!

A little worthless trivia.