Lowering my 1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I just came back from a run with my church friends and had a real great time! My bike is running like a champ! :music2: :music:

But...I had a chance to get into the saddle of several other bikes and the one thing I noticed most is that my bike really sits high and my feet barely touch the ground . All of the others I tried today, I could plant my feet down flat.

So...my questions is, has anyone ever considered how to make the bike lower to the ground (at least from the saddle)? I have a Saddleman Road Sofa seat which at the driver's saddle is lower than a Standard '82 seat. I thought maybe smaller length shocks, maybe smaller wheels? (I have '82 front and rear wheels). Something that would allow me to plant my feet flat when I come to a stop.

(I gotta tell ya guys, that 2001 Valkyrie Interstate was real nice and low to the ground! Too bad I don't have the bucks to get one.)

Me even at 6"2 it's a bit high but I feel cramped forward wise.

I think the cheapest way to sit lower is to bring the front forks up in the tree, try a 1/2-1 inch at a time and see how it handles.

Also could carve some padding out of the seat.

dan filipi":2v93gahp said:
...I think the cheapest way to sit lower is to bring the front forks up in the tree, try a 1/2-1 inch at a time and see how it handles.

That would be my concern with raising the forks...how would it effect the handling? :headscratch:

:cool!: Boots with thicker soles :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
just having some fun, but on the serious side I too have trouble with planting a flat foot on my 82 Asspy. If the floorboards were pegs I probably could go flat footed :hi:

Winger 82":1noxc28i said:
:cool!: Boots with thicker soles :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
just having some fun, but on the serious side I too have trouble with planting a flat foot on my 82 Asspy. If the floorboards were pegs I probably could go flat footed :hi:
Boots, how about a set of '70's platform shoes? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I took my floorboards off and installed footpegs which did help, but I still cannot touch flatfooted.

mcgovern61":7q876woa said:
Winger 82":7q876woa said:
Boots, how about a set of '70's platform shoes? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I took my floorboards off and installed footpegs which did help, but I still cannot touch flatfooted.

'70's platform shoes? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy Hey I had a pair of those along with my pearly white pants and black satin shirt and had a perm in my hair, but that lasted as long as the disco thing did ROCK & ROLL BABY :music: :music: :music: :music2: :music2: :music2:

Lowering the bike will limit your leaning ability. As far as I know my 80 & 81 are both stock. In making a sharp left turn the other day I had my toe under the shifter and the sole of my shoe dragged road surface lightly. I don't think I could make some of the turns around here if the bikes were lowered at all.

slabghost":2b9nd3ja said:
Lowering the bike will limit your leaning ability. As far as I know my 80 & 81 are both stock. In making a sharp left turn the other day I had my toe under the shifter and the sole of my shoe dragged road surface lightly. I don't think I could make some of the turns around here if the bikes were lowered at all.

That's such a weird feeling when the shoe touches the ground, catches me by surprise sometimes and I lift my foot up instinctively.

you do have to pay a little price in seat hieght to have the gas tank in the perfect place on the old wings ......you have to be tall for floorboards will work for you ....i use pegs at 5'11" .....but all in all i like the way there set up with there low center of gravity and a little tall in the saddle feel .....very seldom do i like other bikes more that feel good for a long ride like i do the oldwings :mrgreen:

Just dont stop
To buggery with this 'you must do this''you cant do that' world that surronds us, don't want to have to reach for the floor then just dont stop, heck don't even encorage the blighters by slowing down :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

oh yeh I wear 2 1/2 inch heeled riding boots :blush:

Dave":3naq7mk8 said:
Just dont stop
To buggery with this 'you must do this''you cant do that' world that surronds us, don't want to have to reach for the floor then just dont stop, heck don't even encorage the blighters by slowing down :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

HHAAAAAAAAAA !!!!! See I told ya :hihihi: :hihihi: :hihihi:

:hi: LOWER THE BIKE??????? I can't go over a speed bump (sorry , undilation} without dragging the engine...I am thinking about installing a skid plate to protect the engine :head bang: ,,,or maby a set of wheels like the trailers do??? :smilie_happy: Actually I think the seat is where it is at... sacrifice some comfort there :music: .....OR ... put an air bladder in for a seat and inflate or deflate it as needed.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: You could use rubber straps on short peaces of 2x4s strapped to your feet....Boy this is too good :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: there are to many possibilities... I could go on forerer but my sides are hurting so I will return to the seat foam modification thst is best...We did that for our kids on mini bikes. We just removed the seat and straped on a couple of dipers with duct tape worked good for them. also a possibility now if you can live with the lafter :whistling: .......Bob

toytender01":nzjz1na8 said:
:hi: LOWER THE BIKE??????? I can't go over a speed bump (sorry , undilation} without dragging the engine...I am thinking about installing a skid plate to protect the engine :head bang: ,,,or maby a set of wheels like the trailers do??? :smilie_happy: Actually I think the seat is where it is at... sacrifice some comfort there :music: .....OR ... put an air bladder in for a seat and inflate or deflate it as needed.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: You could use rubber straps on short peaces of 2x4s strapped to your feet....Boy this is too good :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: there are to many possibilities... I could go on forerer but my sides are hurting so I will return to the seat foam modification thst is best...We did that for our kids on mini bikes. We just removed the seat and straped on a couple of dipers with duct tape worked good for them. also a possibility now if you can live with the lafter :whistling: .......Bob
Ya got me Bob! Laughter is the best medicine, but I still can't touch the ground! :yahoo:

Now this is something I've been wondering about scene I bought my bike, because I have an inseam length of only 29" and I can put both feet flat on the ground and have my legs bent. I know my seat is lower then stock by quite a bit, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the stock ground clearance is for the 1100's, so I can measure to see if maybe my bike has been lowered as well. I can't tell by what's scraping in the corners, because I am such an aggressive rider I've never owned a bike that didn't have beveled pegs shortly after I bought it. :oops:

:hi: According to the 80 - 81 service manualthe seat height is31.3in and the ground clearnce is 5.7 in ///at least that is what the book saidthat depends on shock air pressure and oil as well as tire pressures :read: .....Of cource when you put a rider or two on it then that chances again :whistling: ,,, the heaver ith rider the lower the clearance :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :fiddle: :salute: :yahoo: ..Bob

mcgovern61":oye4atcv said:
I have a Saddleman Road Sofa seat which at the driver's saddle is lower than a Standard '82 seat.

Are you sure about this? I had a Saddlemen and it was most definitely was higher, and this is the only claim I've ever read "they are taller than stock." I put an OEM back on and I'm back IN the bubble instead of on TOP of it.

~O~

Omega Man":2c8yojd2 said:
mcgovern61":2c8yojd2 said:
I have a Saddleman Road Sofa seat which at the driver's saddle is lower than a Standard '82 seat.

Are you sure about this? I had a Saddlemen and it was most definitely was higher, and this is the only claim I've ever read "they are taller than stock." I put an OEM back on and I'm back IN the bubble instead of on TOP of it.

~O~
This road sofa is apparently one of the original models (according to Saddleman) and it is a little lower than stock in the butt, but taller than stock at the crown. I am going to measure the actual height compared to the 31.3".

I did some measuring today and as close as I can tell my seat height is 27 1/2" and ground to the bottom of the frame is 7 1/2", but that's with the air set at where I normally ride it. three bars in the back and two in the front. I'll have to look in the owners Manuel to find out what that is in psi. the suspension looks stock so without measuring I would say most of the height difference from stock is in the seat. Most good custom seat manufacturers, like Diamond for instance, adjusts the foam density to match the inseam length and weight of the rider, so you don't have to sacrifice comfort for ride height.

Dave":s73kb67l said:
Just dont stop

aussies speak their mind!
Do you want to be totally comfortable stopped?
Or would you rather be totally comfortable leaned over doing 50 in 15 decreasing radius corner??????
I, would rather have to tip toe on occasion and go hard into corner, rather than have to tip toe into a corner and feel comfortable stopped, but what do I know?

Latest posts