Mesh jacket or vest for summer?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aslatk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a real nice armored jacket. It happens to be a Joe Rocket...xlnt jacket...for the winter. Even with the liner removed and the vents opened, its just too hot for the summer temps here (90 to 100+ at times). With the fairing and windscreen, the jacket vents don't vent very well. So I'm shopping and with a limited budget. I realize the safety aspects of having armor when riding.....but I'm thinking about going with a Scorpion Vision Vest which are now on clearance. I like the quality of the Scorpion products (have a full face and 3/4 helmet from them). A nice mesh jacket w/armor costs quite a bit more. What do you guys wear to stay comfortable during the summer? Would a mesh jacket be cooler than a non-mesh vest? I'm not thinking leather vest but maybe I should. Google the Scorpion Vision Vest. What do ya think? I'm going to order something by tomorrow eve. Can't make up my mind..... :headscratch:
:thanks:

Personal comfort and style in gear choice is just that. Personal. An armored mesh jacket would provide the best protection over the arms as well as upper body. At higher temps they can be a bit warm at slow speeds in traffic. At highway speeds they will help you to retain moisture slowing dehydration issues. Road rash and dehydration are both issues to be avoided. When it becomes too hot for my leathers I take my chances with a denim jacket or sometimes T shirt. ATGAT. All the gear all the time is best but is also often inconvenient.
Based on the above I suggest you protect yourself as fully as you are comfortable to do.

I have a whole arsenal of riding gear.I accually need to thin it out a bit.

I do have a leather vest,but dont really wear it much anymore,its more of a badge collector now,I add my year bars and such and hang it back in the closet.Im not much of a fan of leather anymore.To heavy to hot and hold to much water.

I have a tourmaster denim armored jacket,but it to hot in the summer and has 0 water protection

I have a JOE ROCKET armored jacket with removable liner and zipper vents that I wear on cool mornings and early and late in the season thats great in the rain and 60 degrees and down.But a bit warm in the heat.(I had to remove the spine protecter becuase the seat back would push it up to hunchback position)

Last summer I bought my 12 year old son and I a pair of FIRST GEAR mesh jackets before we went south (I will not let him ride without full gear and I knew it would be to hot for his tourmaster jacket)They are awsome,light silver in color which refected the sun,armored,and the air blows right though them.I almost think I am cooler with it than with out in on a hot day when the sun is cooking down.
I bought mine used on EBAY for $25.00 and I didnt pay much more for his new,being a very small and probably not a real popular size.
I am so happy with the first gear products that thats all I really look for anymore.

I also have a set of FROGG TOGG road toad suit for heavy rain but the JOE ROCKET jacket and FIRST GEAR pants cover that pretty good now.

I also have a pair of FIRST GEAR overpants for rain,cooler weather and on hot days I will wear shorts or swimming trunks under them which is real handy living in the GREAT LAKE STATE.Just drop trough and go for a dip when riding up one of the coast(we have alot of coast line).

I do always try to avoid black or dark colors when I can just becuase of the heat.And I no longer ever ride with out a jacket.

For the summer, I pretty much wear the Frogg Toggs all of the time. Turns out, they are so light weight that air passes through real well and they act like a tent in the sense that the radiant sun light doesn't pentrate the material (Kinda like wearing a shadow!) Keeps me cool on the hottest sunny days! I won't kid ya though, get in stop and go traffic and 95 degrees is 95 degrees and you will still get hot.

The trade off is Frogg Toggs have near zero ability to protect if you go down. They will not take the place of body armor. My best chances are driving extremely defensively and a real loud air horn!

Attachments

• Frogg Toggs.jpg
    Frogg Toggs.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 198
Thanks for your feedback. Couldn't wait till this evening, ordered a jacket this morning. A Fieldsheer Corsair jacket. Clearance price couldn't be beat. It is armored but the fabric they use (carbolite I think) breathes better than what I have now. I looked at meshed armored and some of the vests (leather, some not) and when I saw this jacket at $89 clearanced, I jumped on it because I didn't want "indecision" to cause me to lose out on this deal. Did my research of course before buying. The vest would have been nice but offers very little protection. Would have gone mesh if I didn't come upon the one. Now the anticipation of waiting for UPS....... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:
2009_Fieldsheer_Corsair_Sport_Jacket_Black_Red.jpg

I use a First Gear Meshtex in the southwest where I live now...a nice feature when it is really hot is I can take a bottle of water and pour it all over my upper body and actually stay cool until I stop again, etc, etc.

I have a light weight rain gear jacket for on top if it rains and a windbloc fleece jacket for under it when it gets cold....that covers all my needs these days.

When I lived in Alaska I used an Aerostich 2 piece suit for all my riding....I also have an electric vest and all my bikes have had heated grips.

Leather is way out of date in my world due to weight, cost and the fact it is useless in the rain...I had a custom made Langlitz leather jacket and pants in the early 80's but it shrunk... :crying: :headscratch: and while I still have the jacket, once good textile gear came along, I stopped wearing leather.

Now that I ride a sidecar rig almost exclusively I am way more lax on the ATGATT mantra....I wear a half helmet and lighter gear as I am pretty sure I won't drop the bike and skid around...I still may get hit so I do attempt to wear protective clothing and gear most of the time....
Brian in NM

bk2valve":2nqdnv22 said:
I use a First Gear Meshtex in the southwest where I live now...a nice feature when it is really hot is I can take a bottle of water and pour it all over my upper body and actually stay cool until I stop again, etc, etc.

I have a light weight rain gear jacket for on top if it rains and a windbloc fleece jacket for under it when it gets cold....that covers all my needs these days.

When I lived in Alaska I used an Aerostich 2 piece suit for all my riding....I also have an electric vest and all my bikes have had heated grips.

Leather is way out of date in my world due to weight, cost and the fact it is useless in the rain...I had a custom made Langlitz leather jacket and pants in the early 80's but it shrunk... :crying: :headscratch: and while I still have the jacket, once good textile gear came along, I stopped wearing leather.

Now that I ride a sidecar rig almost exclusively I am way more lax on the ATGATT mantra....I wear a half helmet and lighter gear as I am pretty sure I won't drop the bike and skid around...I still may get hit so I do attempt to wear protective clothing and gear most of the time....
Brian in NM
Brian, I appreciate and value your input since you have traveled in so many different climates! Any chance of posting pics of your gear or links to where it can be found?

i'll post a pic of my two joe rocket jacket when i get home. the phoenix 4.0 jacket is the heavier of the two and has the wind and water proof liner and the ballistic jacket is just mesh with no provisions to put a liner in

Hi Gerry,
Sure,

Here is the Rider Wearhouse addie....Andy Goldfine is a very good guy and is the originator of the "Ride to Work Day" as a way to legitimize motorcycle commuting, for transportation and as a valuable way to travel and to make motos more than just a toy for those with a lot of disposable income...

https://www.aerostich.com/

Their prices seem high but the quality is high and a lot of their offerings are made in the USA (especially the garments) so it is a chance to support our economy. He also chose to keep his business in his hometown of Duluth, MN, a community that was hurting for some years and has a lot of employees that he pays an additional few bucks a payday for getting to work in any way other than a car or truck! No vested interest for me but he does impress me... :clapping:

I have the early model of the Areostich windbloc fleece but they make an electric fleece jacket now that I would have loved to have when I rode in the cold and wet.

My electric vest is a Widder....old one...I am not sure but I believe the Widder dude passed away and I see that the Iron Butt Association sells the gear:

https://www.ibaestore.com/products.asp?M ... goryID=48&

As far as the First Gear jackets and pants, just go to any of the online shops that sell them and look for the best price....I bought mine at a BMWMOA National rally for a really good price and I think we bought my wife's online.

That is about all I know Gerry. I am sure there are plenty folks on here that have as much experience as I with weather and riding....

As far as an extremely high quality old school leather garment maker who lives and works in Portland, OR try Ross Langlitz.....

https://www.langlitz.com/index.html

Happy trails....
brian

I forgot to say that I am in the market for a 2xl First Gear Meshtex jacket as mine has shrunk again...I mentioned this once before, but hey, someone may be on a diet... :salute:

Also if anyone needs or wants electrically heated grips, this is the best I have found and have them on my current wing/ural rig....

https://www.pollyheaters.com/ph200.htm

Brian

aslatk":2ubmnngp said:
dan filipi":2ubmnngp said:
I have one just like that!
Be honest.....I can take it.....do you think it will be cooler than the heavy armored Joe Rocket Jacket I have :beg: ?

It looks like it's vented, hope so.

Honestly mine I wear below 90 degree's, above that I can't take the heat of ANY jacket.
That's when I wear a long sleeve shirt to keep the sun off and prevent wind burn.

I haven't seen mentioned the "cool vest".
You soak it with water and wear it under the jacket.
It gives a lot of relieve from the heat but you have to be moving.

Yea, leather is kinda dated now isn't it? I was wearing full leather once and went down, not a scratch. Also, it doesn't flap in the wind if you're riding a naked bike. Never got my leathers wet but I'd guess that would be bad. Haven't looked at the new textile stuff but I've been eyeing it. May take a look this weekend.

54Greybeard":3ell4zg9 said:
Yea, leather is kinda dated now isn't it? I was wearing full leather once and went down, not a scratch. Also, it doesn't flap in the wind if you're riding a naked bike. Never got my leathers wet but I'd guess that would be bad. Haven't looked at the new textile stuff but I've been eyeing it. May take a look this weekend.

Getting your leathers wet isn't bad for them as long as you condition them (dubbin or fox oil). I still have a leather jacket I bought over 25 years ago and it's been in many a shower over the years. But heres the thing, leather no matter how well water proofed is NEVER water proof when driving in the rain for a couple of hours.

Got jacket I ordered Saturday which was delivered yesterday (Tuesday). Fast shipment. The fabric is called Carboflex. They state it's "ultra-breathable" and 90% the strength of leather. Love the fit, quality, placement of the armor and the fabric does seem unique in a very favorable way. Inner liner is removable and can be worn by itself with the liner even has some reflective material. Seems like the jacket can breathe through the material but until taking it out in hot weather I can't really judge that aspect and that was the main reason for buying this jacket besides the VERY low price for a quality armored jacket. My review so far....A+ :lust: . Waiting for this weekend to try it out. Expected temperatures as high as 100 deg. I think Dans going to be right...At temperatures over 90, no jacket is going to keep you comfortable. I just want this one to be somewhat better at breathing than the Joe Rocket textile jacket :beg: .

54Greybeard":1a0dz48m said:
Fox oil? I've never heard of it. Where would you get that?

Sometimes called mink oil, there are other names I've seen over the years.
Comes in either a spray can or liquid you rub into the leather (I perfer the liquid).
Ahh there is also something similar called liquid silicone (again there are other names) that I really REALLY discourage the use of.

Try WalMart or any leather store.

Looks like a nice jacket. I use the Tourmaster Intake Air mesh jacket and it does work really well when it's hot as long as you moving or it's under 95 degrees. I know you already got your new jacket but anyone else looking for good ventilation in a jacket the mesh jackets really does work well. I live the Desert so we have months sometimes where it stays in the 90s.

Mesh vented high top boots, Bluejeans, T-shirt and full face helmet. Although I were glasses and sometimes wish I still had one of the 3/4 helmets, so I didn't have to remove my glasses each time I get on the bike. Although I do miss my old NAVA full face.

The temps have been running above 110 here the last 3 weeks. I removed the tupperware because of that.

I like to wear one of those reversible air-force nylon flight jackets with the bright orange during the winter, which surprisingly enough gets down to 22 degrees in the morning sometimes, and doesn't warm up above maybe 35 or 40 during the daytime.

Latest posts