Moly Lube for Diff/hub splines

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Hey fellers...I got my rear tire/rim off to replace the tire, and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the type of grease needed for the final drive/hub splines? :rtfm: The manual calls for a "Lithium based multi-purpose NLGI #2 (MOS2 additive)"
What? Huh? :read: :headscratch:
I got a Pep-Gurls right next to me here, and I was wanting to go get some grease for the splines. Will a normal, EP(extreme pressure) moly grease work, or do I need some specialized stuff that I'll never find locally?
My new tire should be here today/tomorrow, and I wanna git back on 2 wheels asap! Mama is gonna go tomorrow and pick up some new rear brake pads, so I'll have them. I got all of the parts for the rims/hub cleaned, and ready to go. Just need to find out what kinda grease I needs...
Thanks!! :help:

The general consensus is to use Moly 60 paste, which is what I use but I'll tell ya, the stuff doesn't seem to last at all.
I've put it on then a few thousand miles pulled the wheel and found virtually no trace of it.
The absence of wear I guess proves the stuff works though.

The Honda dealer should have it. Comes in a mini grease gun tube.

Well :sensored: !
The Honda dealer I been to before has gone, it's now a Kaw dealer. Dangit. They were right across the highway from where Mama is going to get my braking pads.... :crying:
There wasn't much of anything on the splines of this thing except some nasty, old grease...the kind that just won't come off your hands without a wire wheel in a grinder. I noticed the splines of the hub itself have some definite wear, but not enough for me to worry about. Less than 1/2 of the spline for sure. I certainly don't want to have to pull the wheel off every year to re-grease it, either.... :sensored: I guess I'll have Mama ax the bike parts place if they carry the stuff, and get some if they do.... :beg:
My tire arrived today, tho, so I guess that's good, eh? :yahoo:

btw...is $25 for a set of rear pads aboot normal?

Sounds like Molly is just to dang "needy"....
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :hihihi:

I found some Lithium based Moly grease at Pep-Gurls, that "Meets or exceeds NLGI #2 requirements", so I took a chance on it. That's just some nasty stuff! :mad:
Got all my stuff cleaned up in the washer at the shop, so it's all nice and purdy. I packed the grease in on the splines of both the diff and the hub, as well as on the other stuff that needed it. Hope it survives the ride for at least the rest of the riding season!

AApple":1u777n43 said:
I found some Lithium based Moly grease at Pep-Gurls, that "Meets or exceeds NLGI #2 requirements", so I took a chance on it. That's just some nasty stuff! :mad:
Got all my stuff cleaned up in the washer at the shop, so it's all nice and purdy. I packed the grease in on the splines of both the diff and the hub, as well as on the other stuff that needed it. Hope it survives the ride for at least the rest of the riding season!

I did that before my 2000 mile trip and when I got back I think all the moly was on my rear wheel... :whistling: :whistling:
I went to the car wash and did the degrease thing and washed it off. Any one else have that experience???
I did use the Honda grease, but it seems to get real runny when hot. :Doh2: :Doh2: :Doh2:
Maybe I'll try something different next time, maybe a synthetic grease.

Trick learned from working on Brit bikes and the dry clutch's they have, the clutch splines have to be lubricated so we use Molybdenum spray, normally found as Dry Moly Spray, runs about $25 a can. I use it on the rear drive splines, clean the splines completely then give a good coat of the spray to both halves of the splines, I then use a very light, light coat of the #60 moly paste. I do this once between tire changes and always find that they spray is still there.

Latest posts