Motorcycle Lifts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhiterhino

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a motorcycle lift as I am already tired of crawling around on the floor.
There are four available from Harbor Freight. I am interested on your thoughts and experiences cause I would rather spend 400 than waste 100 and be dissatisfied with the outcome.
02792.gif

94715.gif

91764.gif

94813.gif

Thanks for the help.

I been thinking about one of these, too. I been wondering if the frame lifts will raise the bike by the exhaust, or will they actually fit on the frame itself. I don't have room for a drive-on, so I would have to have the frame lift type...decisions, decisions...
headscratch.gif

Like Dan, Imma thinking that, of the ones above, the aluminuminum one would be better, of the two frame lifts. Looks like it would have more usable room around the side than the first one would.

My dad has a frame style lift, and it works well, BUT, if it is not adjusted exactly right it lifts on the exhaust. Now, IMHO, if I had the room, the money, and the air lines, I would get the air over hydraulic for the stability.

I have the lift from harbour freight $300.00 one and I like it except I wish I would have spent the exta money and bought the air or electric one. I have had 1800s on it and it lifts them with no problem except for the fact that it is a little wobbley but I think we could put straps from the bike down to the deck and stop that problem.

I agree with Dan, I like the aluminum one, Looks like its built with part of a floor jack

:salute: Btw... Welcome to the site Jim :clapping:

I have a 2 ton car jack I use to work on my bike. I jack the bike up with it, then put a jack stand under each of the engine guards. Some times I leave the car jack under the bike, other times once I get the jack stands set up, I let the bike back down onto it's center stand.

mine is like the Yellow one .. the handle comes off after you get it up.. had my interstate on it for over a week.. the only issue I had was when it is licked in position and someone (or you) steps on the foot pressure release you got to pump that pedal up several times to get the jack to take pressure of the locks.. ( don't ask..) hehehe it does hit the wings at the exhausts... you might be able to make a frame support that will allow the kjack to hit the frame members and not the exhausts but that is something to think about..

I had the exhaust loose to change the compression washers and had to finish that on the ground.
I then set it up with one bar under the front of the engine and the other under the exhaust and it was too rear heavy.
I moved the lift back for better balance and in the photo it is indeed totally under the exhaust pipes.
I shook around on it and decided it is probably OK for most maintenance but like removing big nuts like axle nuts I will definitely strap her down.
What is really cool is when the handle is in I can move the bike easily around the garage. :razz:
You know what a pain it is to move a couple of feet sideways in limited space. :Awe:

thewhiterhino":27t5egui said:
What is really cool is when the handle is in I can move the bike easily around the garage. :razz:
You know what a pain it is to move a couple of feet sideways in limited space. :Awe:

True, Ive got a very tiny garage, Thats nice to be able to just pull it to the side like that without having to roll the bike back and forth

thewhiterhino":23malvkq said:
...What is really cool is when the handle is in I can move the bike easily around the garage. :razz:

headscratch.gif
Huh? Does the lift have casters/wheels, or is it just that easy to move on a smooth floor?
(never mind that question...I just went back and looked at the first pic...)
doh.gif

How high will it get the bike?

Dan I had mine on the exhausts for a week while waiting for the tires and time off to put them back on.. and aslong as you don't have rusted pipes or bang the pipes with the jack it will support it for most of the work.. if I was smarter and knew my bike was going to on the rack that long I would have had the exhausts off to be tig'd by a friend to close up some leaks I already had..

I have the foot pumped one from harbor freight. I use it constantlly and have had no problems. It even lifts tha Ultra with ease. It has a removable panel so that you can change rear tires with out the hassle of removing the shocks. At it's full hight the carbs are about chest high. My only complaint is that it is painted not powder coated and I spilled brake fluid on it and the paint lifted.

I have the yellow harbor frieght lift seems ok only dislike is when you let your bike down it goes to fast planning on tweeking that sometime 83 interstate on mine.

Latest posts