MPG Averages?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting 36 to 38 MPG on the highway with my 78. Carbs have been rebuilt & new plugs. BUT, I'm still running with pitted points, old wires & end caps. Once I replace these I'm sure I'll see an increase. Run ATF when I remember to put it in. I also can be a bit hard on the throttle. :mrgreen:

My next buy is to get the eletronic ignition.

MMO is close to the same id say ATF is cheaper and i can speak for it ...ive used it for yrs ....on a guess id say ATF is probably better ...it dose two realy well one is put heavy oil back in the gas making gas better btu energy and realy takes care of the rubbers in the carbs ...just like it dose in auto tranmissions ....thats only a guess ...nd if your useing MMO im sure its close to the same to do what i ws talking about ...maybe cleaning the carbs up they both do that id say rather equal

Hi,

It seems this topic thread always devolves into a thread about ATF or MMO.... <sigh>

Here's some "back of an envelope math" for ya to consider......

At a average of $14.00 a gallon for plain old ATF @ the auto parts store, and gas approaching $4.05 a gallon gas is still cheaper than ATF.

Adding 8 oz of ATF to your gas at fill up, which is adding almost $1.00 a tank to your cost to fill up each time you dump that 8 oz of ATF into your tank...

Lets say it increases you mileage by only 5% (from say 40 MPG to 42 MPG) giving you an extra 10 miles per tank of gas it only saved you a quart of gas which at $4.00 a gallon costs $1.00

So you spent one dollar to save one dollar???

Lets even go further.... if it increases your mileage by 10% (from 40 to 44 MPG) gives you 20 extra miles per tank and saves you 2 dollars at the gas pump for a dollar spent on ATF...

Is it worth it??? (rhetorical question, please don't answer it)

I only was interested in the raw data of MPG of rider's bikes, not about other things... sorry if I got all disillusioned that this post wouldn't devolve...

Rich

it comes into play rich cause the oldwings we ride here are short changed by the crappy gas they make now adversely effects these oldwings in the carburators whitch is directly related to mpg ...the fact that you can keep carb rebuilds off the table for yrs and yrs certainly makes it cost effective ...the fact that it can cause the bikes to respond well in all situlations is huge too ....most find the benifits are not dollar related but running related ...and putting something in the tank thats healthy for the oldwings you can hardly buy parts for is the biggest deal id say ....thousands and thousands have already been saved from not buying new bikes ...so this is just the science of oldwings and how to keep them going in todays junk gas of no choice we have today

I am with you Joe. I jyst tore dowm my carbs. the outside was dirty, but the inside was prety cleas for a set that had never been touched ofr over 30 years. I am kitting the carbs this time,just because. I think the onlu problem I had is a float bowle gasket was seeping, as MPR was down and low idle was off. Will post pix soon

Sorry n2 - I didn't mean to start a hijacking - and thanks for initiating this and opening my eyes to how poorly my new bike was running. After a mini-tune it has a lot more excitement factor! I will track the mpg and post here.

Latest posts