My favorite motorcycle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to have owned quite a number of motorcycles throughout my lifetime. Although I was aware of the GL line back in the day, they weren’t really on my radar screen. I didn’t get in to GL‘s until about 10 years ago. Had an 84 Aspencade and then picked up my 78 1000. I’ve had it for about six or seven years now… Can’t quite remember. It was my favorite for a while, then a few others came and went and you know how that goes.

But it was still here. Just not the center of attention.

But, I just got back from a fairly lengthy morning cruise on the old girl. Almost 200 miles! As I have said for years, in its current configuration, it gets more comments than any motorcycle I have ever had. Folks just ask questions and make comments about it. And it is a pleasure to ride. Runs like a Singer sewing machine, stops amazingly well for 42-year-old technology. All in all just a great motorcycle. For quite a while, my go-to scoot was the Valkyrie. Still love that one.

So, I know I am preaching to the choir here, but if I had to get rid of every motorcycle I own and keep only one, I believe it just might be this 1978 Goldwing.

A1987A46-6A22-4DB4-B6F7-EC087BA240A0.jpeg

There a lot to love about a oldwing 4 bike and a lot of ho hum about them ..in looks to me nothing beats the 78-79 .. and yours is modified got right ..kept all the great features of the stock bike and your own stuff ...a lot people have that seat ..wonder why ..well it’s just the best looking out there ..the bars are perfect for the looks ..and the front wind breaker to me is dam near perfect and shaded just right ...everything is all opinion ...but to me show me a bike that’s more sleek looking ...love it

Thanks Joe. You have always been very complementary of this motorcycle and I do appreciate it. I stole a combination of ideas for the thing from all over the place. Speaking of that seat, I think the 200 miles I did this morning is about tops on the darn thing. Much more than that and the enjoyment factor starts to go down.

:shock:

I've had:

CB360T
250 Yamaha 2 stroke dirt bike
500cc Kawasaki triple 2 stroke
Honda ATC 250 2 stroke
Honda 125cc
1981 Goldwing
1983 Goldwing
Kawasaki KLR 650

I've ridden:
1984 Goldwing hack
BMW S1000 RR
Yamaha R1
Ducati V4

It's hard to say which is my favorite. Each one has it's own appeal or memories connected to it.
When I try to pick one, I think about it then the other then can't decide.
Wow, I hadn't realized all the stories with each bike. Some day I'll have to tell them.
I think for now I'll have to say my '83 Interstate. It's been the most comfortable and most ridden of them all, and has the best memories with my son when he was younger.

My bike is not a looker ..I have a ravage body structure ..so comfort of riding is huge ...stock seat a must ...the oldwing 4 low vibration is second to nothing in a solid mount bike ...a lot of my mods I did was to reduce rpm at road speed ...plus the power mods was just me and my hot rod thinking ...but in the end ...I do do long saddle time ...I’m sure there are more comfortable bikes ..but there also heavy ..to me though oldwings with there low center of gravity makes it nimble for me ..and quite the smoothie..unless you go after it ..then it’s like a bucking bronco ..what a personality it has ..fits me well...

Have to admit the '76 RD400 was my favorite - but my butt was 24 years old then, too! I prefer stock seats on GLs - both the 1000s and the 1800s. My SEi seat could get "boney" after about 150 miles, but it was pretty worn out and would probably been fine if it had new foam. I don't like stock 1000 handlebars - they give me a pain between my shoulder blades. Superbike or Euro bars like the ones on the OPs photo are comfortable for me, and similar to the ones I had installed on the RD400 when I bought it. But the stock 1800 seat - the wife and I did ~4300 miles last May around 400 miles a day on and were fine.

while I have great love for my 1500se the Mighty ST 1300 is still my all time favorite. of the road bikes I've owned over the years
#3- '72 Norton 750
#2- '79 Honda Super-K
#1- '06 Honda ST 1300

I love Val heaps but I am pretty much the same if there was only one bike in the fleet I think it would have to be the Rats Nest. :yes: :good:

Runs like a Singer sewing machine, stops amazingly well for 42-year-old technology.

One of my riding buddies has a '76 GL1000. I can attest for the fact that his '76 purrs like a sewing machine compared to my '82 side by side.

As far as rides, my '82 has served me well. But back in 2010, I had an opportunity to take out a '85 GL1200. All I can say is smooooooth and powerful. That bike was a dream.

image.php

Latest posts