Need a little help with the badges.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
Ok guys, if you've been to the General Forum, you've run across this thread of mine:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28

Now I need some help from someone wiser than I am. In the pic below are some of the badges that I plan on reusing on her and they are pretty exemplary of all of them. What I need to know is, does any one know of a way to revamp these. I have thought about spraying them black and then using some light steel wool or fine grit sand paper to remove the paint from the raised letters, but wanted to ask if there might be a better way to do this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

goldwingpics005.jpg

I'm watching this thread cuz I wanna redo mine to look original.

I found them new a couple years ago, think it would cost almost $400 to replace them all.

I tried painting them by rattle cans but it turned out terrible so I repainted them all a gold paint.
Still not great but better than they were.

If anyone finds someone who can recondition them please let us know.

The best way i can think of is to sand blast them clean and then to hand paint them, Then put a clear coat on them
Hmmm... Maybe i should start my own business :builder: :mrgreen:

BigAndrew":1yu76rti said:
The best way i can think of is to sand blast them clean and then to hand paint them, Then put a clear coat on them
Hmmm... Maybe i should start my own business :builder: :mrgreen:

I think you could do pretty good, there are plenty of GL owners out there would send them to you.
It's very common for those to be in bad shape like pictured above.

I know some one with a blast cabinet, but the problem with that is they are plastic, and there is not much you can use that won't break the plastic up.

I have seen a wing relatively close to here that the owner said something about gold or silver leaf, but I was too tired to listen. I had just pulled a 24 hour shift at the job I had at the time.

plskthompson1":3lx6rxmt said:
I know some one with a blast cabinet, but the problem with that is they are plastic.

Crap.... I didnt think that they were plastic, I thought that they were metal
I know that you can use different grades of sand... I wonder if a really small grit sand would work.. probably not..
In that case, I guess you would have to use some kind of paint remover instead

I used a "Marks Alot" perm marker for this one, you just can't tell the difference. Then off to the hobby shop for some red paint for plastic and fine brushes. Hell send 'em to me it sounds like fun.

k.i.s.s. is the way to go. ;)

~O~

Those look really good, Omega.

Big A, I had thought about using a soda blaster after you mentioned blasting them, but I don't know anyone with that equipment. I'm pretty sure that would be easy on the plastics.

I knew I forgot to ask something. I'm glad you thought about that Dan.

If you do it this way get several tip sizes and a couple of each. If you get the marker on a spot where you don't want it, simply but quickly dab your thumb on your tongue and wipe it off. :)

~O~

I dont even have any on my bike.... the P.O. removed them all :crying:
I guess he didnt want people to know what kind of bike it was

I sanded mine lightly and sprayed them with plasticote goldleaf. When they were dry, I hand painted the black and then clear coated them. Looks brand new! (Sorry I don't have a pic, but I am in Alabama at the moment!)

I was going to suggest using baking soda instead of sand, much gentler so it might just work.
I have a Blow Gun that came with a Siphon Sprayer attachment to spray parts with solvent and air pressure. It's an Amflo AMF220TD. like this one.
sjdiscounttools_2081_42620562

https://www.sjdiscounttools.com/amf220td.html

You would put a hose on the "T" the other end in a box of Arm & Hammer and have at it.
Then Walmart sells a Gold Kylone that looks about right on the cap, like gold chome, not gold metalic paint
Then there is also liquid masking that is sold in Hobby Shops for models, to mask off the gold and paint the black...
Hows that for a round about deffinate maybe...don't ya know. :roll:

I had scraped the loose black paint off with a jack knife and exacto blade.
Then with my finger,smeared a thin layer of grease over the still in good shape gold on the raised letters.
Painted the semi gloss background with SEM trim black.
After the paint dryed,I rubbed off the grease and polished the gold letters.

This ofcourse is assuming the gold plating is still OK.

There is a place here(well, Ft. Worth, actually) that does rechroming on plastic trim pieces like emblems. Don't know if they do gold, but they might. I'll see if I can find out, just in case anyone is interested.
I had some stuff for one of my cars done by them years ago that was top notch.
I would like to redo the emblems on my 'Wing, too...they look so sad... :cry:

BADGES!!! WE DON"T NEED NO STEENKING BADGES!!!
:smilie_happy:
Or was it badgers???
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54[/video]
Posted just to keep an eye on this thread!

I'm attempting to redo mine with some rattle can and some hobby paint, but so far I'm not happy with the way it's turning out. I also have to remember, though, that the temps outside have an effect on the drying of the paint. It's going to take some time and some patience.

The whole idea stems from something some body once said about "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." I figure if I screw them up to bad, I can find replacements here and there over time. :roll: