Need a little help with the badges.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right, I tried cleaning these badges up and did a fair job on them in my opinion. They aren't perfect by any means, but they look a lot better than what they did, I think.

I started by cleaning them with soap and water and letting them dry. Then I scraped off what I could of the old paint and tried to clean them up a little more. Then I sprayed them with some gloss black spray paint that I picked up at Wally World.
goldwingpics008.jpg

After that, I took some 2000 grit wet sand paper and went over the letters leaving just the background black.
goldwingpics010.jpg

Then I got stupid, I decided it would be a good idea to apply some gloss clear and the black started to bubble up, so I'm going to have to redo this set, but I still think they look better than they did when I started. When I do them over the gloss spray is going to have to stay on the shelf.
goldwingpics011.jpg

So what do you think. Be honest, I'm a big boy and can take it. :smilie_happy:

Yeah, they turned out OK. I'm not real happy with the clear, but I'll get used to it. It kind of gives it a hammered look over the black. I guess I'll go ahead and clear the rest that way they all match.

Look good to me. Anyone that has to nitpic badges on a ~30 year old daily rider, deserves to be ignored. I hand painted mine (except the clear) and am perfectly happy with them.

Attachments

• 101_0157.JPG
    101_0157.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 90
I 100% agree. I'm some what of a perfectionist, but if I'm riding, I don't have time to worry if it's a little dirty when I get where I'm going. "This ain't no trailer queen."

I think they look damn good.

I did try to do them right a couple years ago and had blistering and looked smeared because the lines weren't clean and straight so these are what I ended up with in the end.
They actually still look better this way than they did.
I'm not very proud of them but oh well.

FrontBadge.JPG

SideBadge.JPG

Dan, did you take all of the original gold down to the black plastic? If not then they are still salvageable. I shouldn't say salvageable as they aren't broken, I should say they are still redoable (sp?).

If they were mine, during the next down time you have that you aren't riding, I would spray the whole thing black, use sandpaper, that's at it's strongest, a 240 grit, but I prefer 600, and sand all of the paint down to the original gold. Then I would spray them with a clear, and that would most likely take care of the problem. The trick is to let the black dry for a good length of time.

Or you could take them all off and send them to me and I could do it for you.

That's what I did. Paint 'em gold and hand paint the recessed parts after the gold was fully dry so I could wipe paint off the gold where it wasn't needed. A couple had reasonable gold plating still on it, so I did like plskthompson1 and painted black using fine sandpaper when dry.

101_0124.JPG

Then clear coated when the rest of the bike was painted.

101_0154.JPG

plskthompson1":2m69seht said:

I might take you up on that offer, just no time left anymore.
What time I do have I want to RIDE!

dan filipi":1comvul4 said:
plskthompson1":1comvul4 said:

I might take you up on that offer, just no time left anymore.
What time I do have I want to RIDE!

Believe me, I know the feeling, but it's too cold to ride right now, and the wing is torn down for repairs anyway.

Great job on those badges, I dont have the patiance to do that detailed stuff. I just took all of mine off, filled in any holes and recesses & repainted it. I kept the "Honda" on the center front though. :clapping:

Omega Man":2owak84h said:
So...roncar, can I send you mine? :smilie_happy: No seriously? :?

~O~

You can send them to me if Roncar's not intetested. I need something to do until I can afford a few more parts.

Latest posts