Need advice with intake o-ring installation. 1980 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooltindog

Reaction score
I have a 1980 GL1000 which has had air leaking issues which I traced down to the o-rings on the right side of the bike. I removed the intake manifolds and both o-rings had been "cut" from improper installation, basically pinched between the head and the intake manifold. I ordered 4 new o-rings to replace all of them on my ride. What is the trick to keep them up in the groove during installation so they don't get pinched again? I am afraid to use high temp silicon (may create a leak) or grease (will probably burn from heat). Thanks for your help.

A thin film of high temp wheel bearing grease will hold the O-rings in place during installation. Lithium-based grease has a dropping point over 190C. I wouldn't worry about that grease burning during normal operations. If your intake manifolds do run that hot, get off quick because it's going to catch fire soon. :read:

As said above, Vaseline will hold the rigs in place during assembly. However, Vaseline will melt during operation and could allow dirt to adhere to the engine.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155658#p155658:3hc38tc3 said:
brianinpa » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:05 pm[/url]":3hc38tc3]
Vaseline works best.
+1 :good:

I've become fond of using aircraft gasket adhesive. Brush it in the groove and let set for a few minutes, put o ring in the groove and it sticks right there. Next time removing the horns they stay put in the groove.
Have used contact cement also.