Need DIY On Idle Air Flow Setting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTATSOC

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Burgundy 1980,1,2,3 Goldwing and a Black 1981 Goldwing
There are a number of good DIY's on how to Sync the Carbs but what is the trick to getting the idle airflow set correctly. Not only is that darn screw under there hard to get at but the book is a bit confusing up down 50 rpm and all that stuff. How do you pros set them or do you just set them all at the 1.25 turns and forget about it.
Thanks
PTATSOC

I've never had to reset them after the initial setting. You're right about the procedures in the manuals, they can get pretty confusing. It seems if the carbs are clean and setup right, a good sync job works great.

proper way is set carb one. Whichever you choose first to highest rpm possible. Then reset idle to 1000 and do the next to highest rpm possible. Do all four twice as each carb affects the others and you're done. It's a real PITA so most don't bother.

Well the actual setting is difficult to determine with all the cylinders firing a slight drop or raise in idle is difficult to feel. most just set it to what the book says according to the year but if you really are a stickler for accuracy then you can buy a color tune kit, and if you have money to burn then get all 4 adapters so you can do all 4 at once.
https://www.amazon.com/Colortune-assist- ... B000E9VGNM

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121640#p121640:pj16fn6q said:
Trak » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 am[/url]":pj16fn6q]
I ordered a specialty screwdriver for it,, so it's not so much of a PITA,, but once you lean it out,, seems to me you back them off some,
According to the manuals you lean them afterward to where the idle begins to drop. I refuse to do so. In my opinion that is too lean.

Latest posts