Need Help! Bike has been sitting for over a year.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turn it clockwise only.. (it is a 12mm and you need a deep offset to hook up to it.. you maybe able to put a socket on it and a breaker bar..) otherwise you will unscrew it... and also loosen all the valves so that there will not be any tension or obsticle to hit the piston.... and also lube the cyclinders through the plugs' holes...

"UPDATE"

Well here is the update,

I have managed to get the bike unstuck and have gotten it started. But the problems still arise. The bike is running kind of rough, don't know if it is the seafoam i put in the gas or if it might be the 87 octane gas that i put in it(all that i had on hand when trying to start the bike). But the bike is not wanting to idle so i am trying to get it all put back together to try and ride it a little bit to see if this just maybe might work itself out. Very doubtful though.....

But as i was trying to get my brake calipers rebuilt so i can put the brakes back together, i have managed not to be able to get the pistons out of one of the calipers. I have tried with the brake fluid, tried with the air hose and even tried getting ahold of them with pliers. "UGH" still no luck. Am i going to have to replace this caliper or is there another solution for this?

I have about 3 weeks left to get this bike lined out for vacation but i don't think i am going to make it. So i believe the little lady is going to be a little upset with me.

"PLEASE HELP" lol

Chief

Good news it's running!!

The idle problem is most likely clogged idle jets. I read of Seafoam clearing them, worth a try.
They can be cleaned by pulling the float bowls off and not going any further in tear down, unfortunately the carbs have to come out to do this.
If all the seals are in good shape the jets can be cleaned then put back together.
If you need seals I recommend Randakks kit.

Try pumping grease into the bleeder screw of the caliper to push it out. Have the bleeder screw cracked open.
On a dual piston caliper you'll need to keep the other one from coming out with a piece of wood against the piston so the pressure will push against the problem piston.

Thanks Dan, I will try that and see what happens.

I have been told by a gentleman that used to ride goldwings a whole lot, to go and get about 2 gallons of airplane fuel. He said that would burn out any deposits in there.

Ever heard of doing this before?

Chief":204fh8vp said:
Thanks Dan, I will try that and see what happens.

I have been told by a gentleman that used to ride goldwings a whole lot, to go and get about 2 gallons of airplane fuel. He said that would burn out any deposits in there.

Ever heard of doing this before?

I've never heard of that.

Av gas is a purer ( if i can use that term) fuel with less blenders in it so it burns cleaner and hotter ( it is like 109 octane)... ALSO GET SOME PB BLASTER and spray the front under the rubeer boot and remove the zerk bleeder and spray inside the caliper.. get a 6 inch C clamp and run the screw up into the cup and tighten it down.. let sit and give it some twist.. and do this for several minutes.. watcha movie .. go out at commercials and twist.. when it moves.. then replace bleeder and try air again..

ok folks....

I am about 2 seconds away from rolling this bike over the hill and not looking back..... LOL !!!

i am needing to get the tank cover off to run the cabels and do some electrical work. I removed the 2 bolts at the rear under the seat, but i cannot find the ones in the front.

still having problems getting the caliper to extend so i can rebuild it.

just one thing after another, What in the world makes us keep going back to these classic bikes? lol

YOU GOTTA LOVE'EM ! ! ! !

Be patient Cheif... You'll get it, You might want to keep all your hammers out of plain sight next time you work on the bike :mrgreen:

BigAndrew":b9p14wh1 said:
Be patient Cheif... You'll get it, You might want to keep all your hammers out of plain sight next time you work on the bike :mrgreen:
I'm with Andrew on this one! If you can't fix it, a bigger hammer may not help!

*****************UPDATE*********************

Ok, its been a few days since I posted anything about my progress.

1) To start with, the girlfriend took all of my hammers away from me.....

2) Next, I believe we have got the fuel problem taken care of. I am not losing anymore fuel that I can tell. And the oil level doesn't seem to be rising either. Thank GOODNESS!!!

3) I was able to get the fake tank off after taking the lower faring off to get to those two front bolts. ((((THEY WILL "NOT" BE GOING BACK IN !!!)))) THANKS GUYS FOR THE TIPS ON THAT.

4) I have managed to get one of the front calipers apart and rebuilt, but i used a little white lithium grease to put it back together. Did I mess up doing that?

5) The other caliper i am still having problems trying to get one of the pistons out of. I went today and bought a rubber compression plug.Havent tried it yet though, so I dont know if that is going to work. I have tried getting it out with fluid, tried using the air compressor and searched all day for a grease fitting or something close to fit it , but no luck...

So over all, the bike is running but wont idle, I think a little riding will solve that. So it moves but cant stop it. I have 5 days left to get this bike going before vacation or I am going to have to take the hammers away from the girlfriend. Wish me luck!!! LOL.

Thats my update for now.

boy deadline coming .....go to the harware store and buy a grease zerk that will almost thresd into the caliper at the bleeder ...just screw it in far enough but not to far to mess the threads up and put the grease gun to it and tighten the grease gun end to the zerk real good and pump away it will come out..

I went to my local car junk yard and got a metric zerk fitting from a Japanese car. Hand-pumped grease guns can generate over 3000 psi; the pistons will move. It's a mess to clean up, but it does work.

The piston bore should be lubricated with DOT 4 brake fluid when assembling. Using grease can leave a residue that might plug the small ports in the brake system. However, if it is working, you are probably OK.

Have yet to see a piston, or set of piston's, that won't pump out with their own master cylinder, :nea: with an old brake pad to stop them from popping out. :good:

With caliper on the bench and fluid drained: apply air pressure thru where the brake line connects, they will pop out. Do it with a soft rubber tip on your air hose blower from compressed air source.

Warning: Leave brake pads in place to do this or they might become a supersonic projectile.

Will not always work, :nea: the master puts out a lot more pressure than the 150# of air pressure from a compressor. :yes:

Latest posts