need help figuring out motor tapping noise

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why I told you look for the oil port under the spring to see if they are installed correctly. If you can see it installed the rocker is installed wrong.

slabghost":3tgn31ln said:
That is why I told you look for the oil port under the spring to see if they are installed correctly. If you can see it installed the rocker is installed wrong.

The shaft I have right in front of me has 4 oil ports in a line. It is the only way I can see that the shafts can be interchanged from top to bottom and vice versa and keep the lubrication.

Yes all the oil ports are inline. If the ports are visible with arm installed it on backwards. This is possible as I have seen it done.

dan filipi":3h3rfs04 said:
Since the rockers ride at different places top to bottom, when the shaft is swapped top to bottom the rocker rides on a fresh spot.
Worn rocker shafts??? Never considered that in the engine knocking thread, we only looked at valve float and weak springs!

slabghost":1jt5sbk4 said:
Yes all the oil ports are inline. If the ports are visible with arm installed it on backwards. This is possible as I have seen it done.

I see what you are saying now, yes all ports face inward. In other words the oil is being ejected at the point on the shaft subject to the most load which is the side of the shaft facing the engine.

mcgovern61":2bef2o78 said:
dan filipi":2bef2o78 said:
Since the rockers ride at different places top to bottom, when the shaft is swapped top to bottom the rocker rides on a fresh spot.
Worn rocker shafts??? Never considered that in the engine knocking thread, we only looked at valve float and weak springs!

I light bulb went on in my head too when I posted that pic :oops:

So who out of us GL1100 owners that have the illusive ticking is willing to tear down their heads and see if swapping the shafts will eliminate the ticking?

Not me, I just got mine back up after 8 months after snapping a timing belt and replacing the head.

Heath":1z0w108n said:
So who out of us GL1100 owners that have the illusive ticking is willing to tear down their heads and see if swapping the shafts will eliminate the ticking?

Not me, I just got mine back up after 8 months after snapping a timing belt and replacing the head.
I have an '81 engine sitting on the floor that hadsome engine noise. I can pull the shafts and at least measure them for differences and inspect them for wear!

Heath":28d1r7so said:

This thread has gotten me curious and everyone here knows when I get curious......:builder:

I made a half hearted attempt at checking my rocker assembly yesterday. In this thread https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32916 I was led to believe that I could just push the spindle shafts out without removing the cam holder, but it doesn't seem possible with the 1100.
IMG_0785.JPG

I wasn't sure if backing the cam holder off to the point where the spindle would clear could damage the cam seals, so I gave up. I have no clearance in the rocker assembly that I can feel. Only the acceleration ramps and tip of the lobes are shiny, the deceleration ramps and base circle look like they are untouched.
IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

This link may be of interest.

https://www.wingovations.com/#/cams-and- ... 4540064349

Jorg

Jorg

I had read also the shafts will slide right out with the belts on but not true since the shafts have to slide forward out of the holder but the backing plate won't allow this so it seems the belt and cam holder have to come completely out.

handyrandy":2uxfrai3 said:
I was thinking maybe somebody holding the back of the cam in with a stick while I removed the holder and switched the shafts.
That sounds like it could work. I feel like trying it myself but I don't have the tick.

Latest posts