Needs some help No power

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron1YY

Reaction score
I had my 81 running and was installing some New to me parts.

New tail light and turn signals and turned the key and they tested fine.

I put a new set of gauges on and connected everything up, Turned the key to check and Nothing !!!

I disconnected the wires to the gauges and still nothing.

Any ideas ??

Ron

So now you have nothing? No lights, horn, nuttin? I'd go right to the main fuse, under the left side cover, right next to the battery. If your's has not been modified to a blade-type fuse, you should have a dogbone style, fuse in the holder, located on the starter solenoid. It's kinda rubber strapped there. There should be a pic of it in the gallery somewhere...I'll look. That's my best guess...something popped the main fuse.

click for link
"Main Fuse, #3"

Well, here's another twist, that is Not there !! And it looks like I have a ford starter relay mounted under the gas tank shell !!

Well...THERE'S yer problem! Get that Ford crap outta there! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

LOL !!! Well, I will have to find from the battery through to the starter with the main fuse block and all.

If someone has already modified the bike to use a Ferd solenoid, then chances are they put a main fuse in there summers...ya just gotta find it. Sure sounds like a main fuse blown....

Relay shouldn't keep it from having any power...just keep it from starting....depending on how it is wired. Main power feed for the rest of the system(s) should still be coming from the same side of the solenoid(large terminal) that the battery cable is connected to. The large terminal on the other side of the solenoid should go directly to the starter. The smaller terminal/wire should come from the "Start" button.

Ron1YY":3jb64hzy said:
I had my 81 running and was installing some New to me parts. New tail light and turn signals and turned the key and they tested fine. I put a new set of gauges on and connected everything up, Turned the key to check and Nothing !!! I disconnected the wires to the gauges and still nothing.
Any ideas ?? Ron
Ron....is the battery connected? :Awe: (Sorry...I had to do it!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: )

LOL !!!! Yeah, It's connected ;) I will run my fingers along the wires again and hope I find the fuse !!

OK try this Ron the fuse you are looking for is in part of the starter relay ie:
DSCF0320.JPG
This is on my 80 but I Think yours will be the same. There are 2 little slots you can check the fuse ( with a volt meter) through or you can pop the back off. This fuse feeds all the fuses up in the tank cover compartment. Hope this helps Good luck

Hmm, That being said, I will remove the Ford Relay and try to trace all the wires to it.

Ok, I am completely Frustrated !!!! Again I could not find the main fuse. I bought another ford relay and there is STILL no power. I half want to just get a new harness and start from scratch !!!

I was thinking, When I mounted the new gauges, that's when the power went, Maybe I knocked an ignition wire loose or something ???

Latest posts