New 1500 Owner and a question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcol

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been around for sometime in the 1100 section however I just picked up a new to me 1992 1500 SE. The bike has 82,000 km and is in good condition. I'm looking forward to learning about this bike via this forum as I did with my 1100 so thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure I will receive.

My first question concerns the instrument cluster. As you can see from the picture the dark backing surface is bubbled up around the area under the speedo. The PO said it was from the key focusing a bright spot of light on the surface and heating it up. I did a search but couldn't find any mention of this in the forum however it sure looks like that is what happened. If you look closely there is even signs of damage from this light ray on the outside of the cluster in a straight line starting at the key.

I haven't checked with Honda yet to see of the cluster housing which should include that dark backing surface is available. Ideally it would be great if I could simply replace the bubbled layer with a new one. It looks like a peal and stick sort of arrangement. Aside from a complete change out of the cluster I'm hoping someone might have an idea. It's bothering more then I thought it would. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20150512_064147.jpg
    20150512_064147.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 563
  • 20150512_064206.jpg
    20150512_064206.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 557
I am not so sure that is what happened?? That is the equivalent of turning our key into a magnifying glass to produce that much melting. I looks to me like something either heated up under the dash, or the PO heated the area up with something unrelated to the bike and caused damage.

I have seen similar damage in other things where the bulb was left on or too high wattage bulb was put in.
As far as a fix gee, rather delicate work.
I would try first seeing what all involved getting to the damage.
Looks to me like the plastic lens is damaged too so maybe a good used assembly is a better choice.

Have to agree with Dan, looks like heat damage from light that was left on & got HOT. :headscratch: Not that it couldn't be repaired, but cluster needs to come out to fix it. Used clusters are not too pricey & easy to replace once old ones out. If you repair the old one, you could always resell one of them, but spare parts come in handy as you just might have a few 1100 parts laying around. :hihihi:

That area in the cluster is the Reverse indicator light which works but normally would only be on for a few seconds. I agree that it is hard to believe this was caused by a reflection from the key however there does seem to be some evidence of damage outside of the cluster in line with the key and the inside damage. I looked for a cluster on eBay but not much was available. I'll just have to keep looking.

My opinion on the "damage" in line with the key is that there was an electrical wire that was laying across the bike (maybe an extension cord or worklight?) that shorted and burned. The heat from the wire may have caused the melting. Something of that nature appears to be what happened. Not likely the key could have produced that much heat from a reflection. :nea:

I agree it looks like added heat from a bulb or maybe shorted wire caused the damage. If everything works otherwise I'd just ride it. Consider it a minor theft deterrent. If it continues to bother you keep looking for a replacement dash at a price you like.

That is kinda telling how you can see melted plastic from the key hole to the dash, some kind of key fob could maybe do it, I have done experiments with sun reflection and there are some objects large and small that will make heat, maybe not ignite but melt. Solar heat is easy to reflect off many things if you have the right angles/condition.
I`m giving this one a true until proved false.
The clear cover is replaceable and might have been replaced after the melt , you can take it apart but probably easier to buy the whole cluster from the auction site or good used with the same miles so not to confuse the officials.
Ride it till you hit 15K then install this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GOLDWING- ... 17&vxp=mtr

I'm not sure about the rules here concerning referencing other forums directly but over on the Steve S forum there is a thread that seems to account for the damage I have.

"The plastic panel that surrounds the gauges and indicator lights has deformed in the area around the row of lights that include the OD, nuetral, etc. lights. The clear lens that seals the guages is fine. But the panel on the outside that souronds the guages, speakers, and the complete dash is also deformed just in the area beneath the indicator lights. "

A couple of more people noted the same problem and it seems that the common factor was that all of the bikes had aftermarket windshields installed which are thicker and have a different shape. My bike has a taller aftermarket windshield installed which the PO did because his passenger was getting too much wind.

"I just got a new Tulsa and there was a warning from them about this. They even sell T-Shirts to stop this. I guess they have to advertise that way. Anyhow, I think any old covering would protect the dash "

So it would appear that it is related to sun reflection and an aftermarket windshield. I think this is the probably cause since my PO insisted that it just appeared gradually over the course of a few weeks. I'm not sure if the key is involved or not but it does appear that it is the combination of the sun and a different windshield. Interesting discussion either way.

Well direct exposure to sun can do a lot of damage especially to plastics and more so if magnified by a lens.
I'd cover the area when parked outside, least when it's in full summer heat.
Throw a towel over it.

I'd have to go with the windershield answer. That would tend to focus more of the sun's heat in one area than a metal key....unless you have a shiny, chromed key. :yes: A towel,, or even a plastic trash bag over the windshield will keep it from happening again, or getting worse.
They make covers to put on chrome air cleaner tops(on cars) to keep from damaging the paint on hoods, while at outdoor car shows. The sun's reflection off of the chrome can burn a spot in the paint pretty quick in August in Texas! :shock:

41Luu%2BU2ijL._SX425_.jpg

Sun don't shine very hot in Vegas, O-man.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Tulsa will melt the plastic around speaker, sun reflects from the inside curve of windshield. Don't park where sun is behind in its movement or it CAN & WILL focus & warp had to replace mine years ago. Plastic melted in corner where metal grill meets the plastic, sun will melt it as was at work, all day. Faced other way & never happened again.

Can't remember for sure which direction bike was facing, but upper left corner melted at metal grill. Parked facing opposite direction after that, lot of years ago, as 91 was nearly new. Tulsa & fork brace were done soon after purchase with suspension upgrades front & rear.

As an update to the damage I have on my 1500 I was able to find a parts break down of the instrument cluster and the black matt surface which forms the background of the gauge cluster is available from Honda for around $40. It's on back order with expected delivery mid-June. I ordered one and I'll post some pictures if the replace/repair goes OK. Thanks for all the comments.

Latest posts