New 79 Gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And since we're on the subject (hijack) I'll do the same for my auto's.

GM power steering pump is over $300, lasted less than 60k miles.
I can get an aftermarket for 1/2 the cost from a local auto parts, probably 1/2 that again online, lol.

Saturn power window regulator: $285 at the dealer, $100 new aftermarket online.

Tail lights for the Suburban: $260 EACH from GM, I just bought BOTH new aftermarket online for $125!

Bottom line here is the dealers make the vast majority of their money on parts.
If they came to their senses and brought prices down to at least somewhere NEAR what the competition is selling at, they'd make more sales.
I for one would be willing to pay 20%, maybe even 30% more from a local dealer for the convenience but not 100% and often more!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94339#p94339:1zgfygnq said:
C5Performance » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:31 pm[/url]":1zgfygnq]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94334#p94334:1zgfygnq said:
brianinpa » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm[/url]":1zgfygnq]
Lancaster Honda... Stay away from Lebanon Valley Honda!

As far as parts go, I do better on line than any of the dealers.

After working at the dealership level for 25 years, i might suggest that you give your local dealer a chance at some business. We price matched when we could, or tried to get close. Internet warehouses buy in huge quantities, have no trained sales staff, no show floor to keep clean and stocked with cool displays, can't and won't do warranty coverage most of the time, and can't do repairs or installations.

What i am getting at, is we lost MANY dealerships in the economic crash. Some deserved to close, but we lost several high quality dealerships that could not complete with all the internet sales going on. When you lose your dealer, only then will you realize he couldn't survive selling you a new ATV every 10 years. Have fun driving 100 miles now to the next surviving store.

Participate and actively talk with your local shops. If they are open to being flexible, try to reward them with some sales. Offer to help with a classic bike show or do other things that help them stay alive. The stores that are rude, dirty, and ill trained will go out of business anyway...but keep the good ones going and one day it might just save your own skin.

Paul I appreciate what you are saying and that is why I mentioned Lancaster Honda. Having used both of these places, I will drive the extra miles to avoid my local dealer as they are one of those that should have closed, but they have a monopoly in the local area so people reluctantly must go there. When local automobile shops obtain a motorcycle inspection license because too many motorcyclists are complaining about the local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki (they would have Kawasaki too except that local dealer will not cave into the pressure) dealer shafting them all the time, I think that speaks highly about the service this dealer provides.

Now back to the OP's question, you might want to check Mouse's Motorcycle Repair (sorry no website) in Jonestown/Lickdale. I haven't used him, but I have heard that he does good work.

I'm happy you guys shared the "good" shops as well as the bad ones. I've seen some non-franchised stores really do a great job when the big stores couldn't seem to get it together.

I think there is a dealer in York, PA that i knew the owner...not sure if they are big or little. Action Motorsports or something like that.
Anyway, best of luck finding a store that takes care of you, that's always important!