new GL1000 owner, engine mount question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridge97

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1977 GL1000
Bought a 1977 GL1000 with 57,000 miles. Put on a new timing belt, tires, exhaust, and ready to ride. Two questions -- 1) The bikes stalls or stumbles at low rpm, runs great above 3,000rpm. Weber replacement carb, or knock-off version of same. Should I look at the idle circuit? Other things to check? 2) I bought crash bars, one mounting point for which is the engine mount bolt at front. If I take the bolt out, how hard is it to put it back in? I'm afraid the motor will drop and I won't be able to line things up. Got one ride in already, great bike (though the stalling issue is worrisome).

Bought a 1977 GL1000 with 57,000 miles. Put on a new timing belt, tires, exhaust, and ready to ride. Two questions -- 1) The bikes stalls or stumbles at low rpm, runs great above 3,000rpm. Weber replacement carb, or knock-off version of same. Should I look at the idle circuit? Other things to check? 2) I bought crash bars, one mounting point for which is the engine mount bolt at front. If I take the bolt out, how hard is it to put it back in? I'm afraid the motor will drop and I won't be able to line things up. Got one ride in already, great bike (though the stalling issue is worrisome).
Welcome to the forum! I don't think the 1000s came with a single carb, but I could be wrong. Depending on how much it's been ridden there could just be some crap built up in the low speed circuits. Note my location. Ride sometime? I need to get at least one more ride in before winter.

Question 2: You can remove it - nothing will move. There are many other points of connection, and also that is a thru-rod that is intended for accessory installation like the crash bars so it actually doesn't bear much of the engine load. Remove away!

Latest posts