New-ish rider from CT, military member, student

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanJA

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm Ryan, if the name isn't a dead giveaway. Just about 30, been with the USAF/Air National Guard for just about 11 years now, and my bike is a 1982 Aspencade.

I'm a full time student as well in the IT field, and hope to start a small business to compete with the overzealous-overcharging companies that fix computers for residents and small businesses, since I find their pushy methods and insane prices lacking integrity. I am mechanically inclined with just about any Subaru block, and can tear one down in my garage without removing it from the hood, and can do a transmission swap in 3 1/2 hours with no power tools and no fancy car lifts (believe me... done it one too many times!). When it comes to bikes, the only real knowledge I feel comfortable bringing is my electronics knowledge, which will come in real handy soon.

Anyways, about my bike.... Has just about 62k miles on it, and mechanically, it runs great (with the occasional issue with the starter not "catching", but not too big of a deal). It is the original brown-ish color, a lot of the chrome has faded away, so I aim to restore it electrically with some improvements in the radio, CB, alternator conversion kit (especially now that my stator died a week ago!), and other things that will beautify it and make it an even better ride. Oh, and I want to paint it Subaru World Rally Blue, in honor of my original Subie. Of course, that means new seats, etc. etc., but that's another thread.

I'd post pics, but, still a new guy, so I can't. (found out after rtfm) :rtfm:

I'm going to post a new thread in the appropriate area about my project, with what I aim to do am such. I'll say this much... I spent about an hour tearing apart my fairing, and yikes, is it a rat's nest in there!

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Ryan!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Well, thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry for the delayed response, the girl wanted to watch a movie. :popcorn:

Here is the first pic of the bike.. well, not my specific bike, but the same make/model/color:

72452634_3-1982-HONDA-GOLDWING-1100-ASPENCADE-Motorcycles.jpg

Here is the fairing, left side:
20120331155219168.jpg

And the center:
20120331155134124.jpg

I would post more pics, but those are a few hours old, and the fairing is *nearly* stripped down... I'm kind of excited to re-wire it after the paint job and alt conversion, if only to make it clean and easy to maintain. There were a lot of wires not plugged into anything inside the fairing that were just taped off so they aren't bare, so the re-wire job is going to be the toughest for me to do (since my neighbor Joe is going to be doing the hard work fabbing the parts for the alternator conversion).

After the fairing is removed, I'm going to be cleaning it thoroughly, and along with the other saddlebags and parts, I'm going to airbrush it that sweet pearl blue that I remember. Looking into installing a Shark 250W radio/speaker system (#SHKMSDHRS6160), but I would lose CB/intercomm functionality... although I could get a J&M kit, but that means I would be running two different sources of sound. (Typing out loud, that might make things easier, since the Shark unit only controls the external speakers and the J&M runs the headset/intercomm system..... the two would never really intermingle, also making it easier to maintain and troubleshoot if something was to go wrong with one, I can rule out the other...)

But, my main focus right now is stripping that fairing down and such. Ah, yes, and installing progressive shocks in the front (the rears already have them). Fun times!

Welcome from New Mexico Ryan and thanks for your service. Good to have you. I am a Suby fan also and we have had three.

Let me know when you transplant a suby engine into a oldwing! Hey if they made a kit for installing a VW engine into a BMW frame, why not a Subaru engine into a Wing frame?
Enjoy your project and the forum...
Brian

Again, thanks for the warm welcome guys! I started a new thread in the 1100 forum about my overhaul project on the bike. There are going to be some *interesting* pictures I'm going to post later this afternoon of the rats nest in the fairing!

Welcome to the forum Ryan, I'm in Ct as well in New Milford. I'm new here too. I'm thinking about a set of those progressive springs for the front of my gl1100 and interested in how that goes for you. I also have a set of progressives in the back.

I'll let you know! That is the only part I haven't ordered yet, because I'm honestly not sure what part (or parts) to get...

Latest posts