New Member Thanks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as dan and v are saying is right ,... couple things ...T1 possition on crank ...turn crank 90 degrees from there all piston will be sunk halfway day cylinders ... put cams in and cam pulleys on make pullys are flop right so the facing side is right .... there and up stamping on the pulleys ... make sure these are fon the upper half above cam ...with this done and motor at t1 possition ...you wont run into any piston with valves putting cam in right timing mark at the head ....either side ...but in this possition the crank must stay there till belts are on ... then theres a bit of doing to tension belts right ... but just get them on right now is first ...

on a huge note ..as V pointed out if the rocker itself is not on the valve ...you can releive the tension of the valve and it will go up ....the rocker could be pulled over against spring pressure and the belt should be easy to put on mark ...... :shock: this just might be the easiest way to put belts on ... im going to try it ... im so hoping this works ....

here at classic we are always looking and coming up with better ways of doing something :popcorn:edit ...ok that didnt last long the rocker from other side is in the way and you cant get rocker off :whistling: :hihihi: :hihihi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155231#p155231:21pawxrw said:
slabghost » August 3rd, 2015, 12:56 am[/url]":21pawxrw]
You do some real nice work! What make, model fairing is this?
I dont know i did some research to find a new windshield because the original is cracked says it comes off a yamaha thanks

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155583#p155583:1eo8zppl said:
slabghost » August 8th, 2015, 9:56 am[/url]":1eo8zppl]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155580#p155580:1eo8zppl said:
thegreat1 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:30 am[/url]":1eo8zppl]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=152813#p152813:1eo8zppl said:
thegreat1 » July 6th, 2015, 10:42 am[/url]":1eo8zppl]
Brand new owner of a 1978 Honda Golding been setting for 7 years started dis-assembly motor still siezed downloaded the full service manual . I am a mechanical Engineer i work in the field of refurbishment of x-ray equipment taking the approach i take at work with my new bike. my son got it for me for my 43rd birthday . Never had a bike before going to bring her back and learn to ride. I am taking alot of picks look forward to contributing and learning all i can and having fun at the same time thanks have good one. I will upload work ounce approved by membership. have good one

We also picked up a 81 honda 650 i think cb going to restore here as well. At least that one is turning over.

I was wondering if you all could help . During Refurbish i had to remove both heads as a result the valves are not aligned in the proper open close configuration to match the off set as the service manual states . My question is the book says rotate the engine 90 degrees from T-1 align left and right pully marks as shown in the diagram. When i rotate the right came no matter how many times i rotate it it never aligns as the picture shows. Also the books say # 1 fully closed. All video ref out there show a both heads already configured correctly and everyone is either clamping or using a jig to hold during re-alignment. my case is both heads have been rotated and new head gaskets installed and there on the bike i need help insuring the correct valves are open closed for each head and the proper position of both pulleys left and right are correct. ( I seen the warning in the book about potential for it being incorrect and causing damage to the engine. Ive done to much work to have it ruined . I am ready to finaly install the timeing belts add oil water fuel cant continue until i get the timing right. I took photos and have alot more to upload thanks have good one
Remove the rocker assemblies on both heads so all the valves remain shut. That will eliminate spring pressure against the cams trying to turn the motor too. Then try to assemble by the book. Turn the motor over by hand with the crank bolt several times to verify the pullies line up with the timing marks at TDC. reinstall the rocker assemblies and turn over slowly by hand feeling carefully for any increase in resistance. If any is felt you are mis aligned somewhere. If you have any further questions or difficulty post again. If it all fits right post again we like progress as much as questions.[/quote

I tried to start is the first time today she rotates but will not fire. I removed all the plugs none seem wet. going to also put a meter on the wires to see if im getting fire. I did not dis-assembled the carbs that was the only thing i have not taken apart yet. The tank was completely empty i filled her with gas tried 1 gal the first time guess wasn't enough to flow. i took off the value to see if i had flow from the tank to the line and i didn't ounce i filled it i had full flow. but still not firing. I even pured a little gas through the air box. still nothing. I going to check power and probably removed the manifold start dis-assembly. dis-pointing wasn't easy getting all back oh well will be worth it the first time i here her fire. My brother from out of town also told me it is possible im 180 out possibly on the exguashst would that cause her not to fire? He was said it should had fired even if it was 180 out. Also in ref to hand turning the motor. I turned it by hand several times as you stated with plugs out she rotated good at one point it has slight resistance but not enough to require torching to complete the turn feels slightly like it did when i rotated the heads off the bike the feeling you get when the cams against springs thats it. When she rotates there is no contact noise just smooth air through eguashst kinda like base lope. thanks

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155605#p155605:2dfx11v2 said:
joedrum » August 8th, 2015, 6:27 pm[/url]":2dfx11v2]
as dan and v are saying is right ,... couple things ...T1 possition on crank ...turn crank 90 degrees from there all piston will be sunk halfway day cylinders ... put cams in and cam pulleys on make pullys are flop right so the facing side is right .... there and up stamping on the pulleys ... make sure these are fon the upper half above cam ...with this done and motor at t1 possition ...you wont run into any piston with valves putting cam in right timing mark at the head ....either side ...but in this possition the crank must stay there till belts are on ... then theres a bit of doing to tension belts right ... but just get them on right now is first ...

on a huge note ..as V pointed out if the rocker itself is not on the valve ...you can releive the tension of the valve and it will go up ....the rocker could be pulled over against spring pressure and the belt should be easy to put on mark ...... :shock: this just might be the easiest way to put belts on ... im going to try it ... im so hoping this works ....

here at classic we are always looking and coming up with better ways of doing something :popcorn:edit ...ok that didnt last long the rocker from other side is in the way and you cant get rocker off :whistling: :hihihi: :hihihi:

I never dis-assembled the heads . i hope i havn't done any damage. I going to remove the value covers and attempt what was suggested i will log on during the day on mobile if possible during break see post thank everyone for there help. sure didn't pick a easy bike for my first but can't wait to bring her back alive. thanks

Put plugs in the wires and ground them to the motor to check for spark. There are a lot of more difficult bikes out there you could have chosen and a few that might be easier.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155176#p155176:2olnrirp said:
thegreat1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:03 am[/url]":2olnrirp]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152815#p152815:2olnrirp said:
slabghost » July 6th, 2015, 1:31 pm[/url]":2olnrirp]Welcome to our little corner of the net. It's a very good idea to take the motorcycle safety foundation training course. Use their bike and learn to ride. Members here can help with the wrenching part.[/quote
file.php

Welcome from the UK, looks like mine was, are you sure your sone bought it fdor you and not he was paid to take it away! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Go for it and don't forget we love loads of pics on here....

Welcome from SW Florida... Taking the Motorcycle Safty Course will teach you how to handle your bike... They usually use a 250cc bike... Getting the certificate will also get reduced rate break also...

Latest posts