Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuter

Reaction score
Just bought a 1981 GLI1100 with 28,000 miles that has been stored for 14 years in an old garage. I'll be able to pick it up in about a week and will take pictures of it's dreadful state. Not at all sure if I did the right thing as I don't even know if the engine is rusted up. Lots of work ahead to make it road worthy. Probably should have just bought a good runner. We shall see. Been riding all my life both street and dirt but this thing is big and complicated.

Welcome the forums.

These engines are tough but rings can be damaged if it's frozen and broken free to quickly.
Patience and soaking with ATF should free up the cylinders.
Sitting that long the carbs and brakes will need work.

Good winter project!

Welcome to the CGW Forums, shuter!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Ya..slow and easy on this one, if it's been sitting that long. Good luck with it, tho!!
And if it turns into something you don't want to, or can't handle, I hear joedrum is starting a collection of the old girls.... :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard! You may be pulling your hair a few times reviving the bike but it has been done and you can do it. It is real work to push it though.

Welcome to the forum Shuter

The forum if full of folks bringing Goldwings back from the edge of extinction and riding them all the time.. You'll find all the help here you'll need for your project. The more you do during the fix up phase the more comfortable you'll be during the riding phase....
:party: :good: :yahoo:

WOW! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. When I signed up and looked at the number of members I rather thought this place would be pretty dead. Not the case. :grin: Quality over quantity perhaps. Looking at the avatars of all the people that have dropped by to welcome me, I see nothing but early eighties Wings. I feel right at home.

I had a dead wing and now I ride it anywhere!!! :music:

(I love before and afters!!!) :thank_you:

Attachments

• Restored 82.JPG
    Restored 82.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 80
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 80
Gerry - Great before and after shots. I will take pictures of mine before it is moved. Your headlight looks like mine. It looks so old style I'm wondering if it puts out enough light or if it needs to be somehow upgraded?

shuter":5z10d94a said:
Gerry - Great before and after shots. I will take pictures of mine before it is moved. Your headlight looks like mine. It looks so old style I'm wondering if it puts out enough light or if it needs to be somehow upgraded?
It is old style and it works the same as they did in '82! (Kinda yellow looking) but the same output as it was originally. I did replace the bulb and clean the lense, but it doesn't put out like the newer types.

:clapping: :clapping: Great recovery Gary :music: I am looking for the same results on my 82 project :good: :good: keep running into new things that have to be fixed buuuuut... that is the nature of reviving old equipment...will try to get pictures (as soon as i rebuild this damb old camra of mine ): :fiddle: :head bang: I bartered for two 82 Interstates (actually got 3)that had been in storage for the past 8 or 10 years, the guy diden't know for sure how long ago he bartered for them. Got 2 whole bikes a spare engine and an old wrecked frame with engine and forks and rims.....one bike was all togather the other had the engine pulled. The third is a bunch of junk (bent frame, Bent forks and the engins has been trashed .....am only going th rebuild the one that was all togather and get rid of the mess when I am done....however I just got sidetracked with an offer on a 83 so I might be unloading as much of my STUFF as I can then buy this new project. :beg: :beg: Decisions decisions decisions :fiddle: :salute: :whistling: :whistling: Will try to keep all informed....Bob

Latest posts