New Tire Time

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believer45":2jawrn9g said:
I went and looked at the tires that are set aside for me, both were manufactured in mid 2012 (25th week and 19th week) so that should be fine. My only issue now is getting the rear tire off the bike. They will do it but will not quote due to saddlebags and tourpack, time spent at $65 per hour. They did say for an Electraglide they generally get three hours. Looks like I need to get the bike jacked up enough to get the tire out from under it.

I have found write-ups and videos with different ways to do this. Some say lay the bike on its side, unbolt the wheel and it will come out without removing the drive unit. Others say you have to pull the rear fender, license plate and the loop at the bottom of the saddlebag brackets. Others say the whole back end has to come off. Anyone have first hand experience?

Dave / Believer45
Having it on the center stand is more logical since the rear tire is already lifted from the ground.I normally take both bags out.the first time I did I clipped the wires to the bags and installed plugs.then rear bumper and detachable rear fender.Rear axle pulls out after I add a 2x4 and a second one half way until it clears the muffler and wiggle the tire out from the rear drive after that get the tire sideway as much as you can and again wiggle out.Same procedure backwards to install.Do take air out of rear shocks.I normally chuck front tire with a 2x4 .But if I had to leave bike over night I woud probably install a wire from center stand to some front part of the frame.you can add somenthing between the pads I normally open them up slightly to fit the disc better to fit tire back.Mine is an 82 aspy but can't think that it could be anymore difficult on your bike.

1060dsl":214a9qjs said:
Believer45":214a9qjs said:
I went and looked at the tires that are set aside for me, both were manufactured in mid 2012 (25th week and 19th week) so that should be fine. My only issue now is getting the rear tire off the bike. They will do it but will not quote due to saddlebags and tourpack, time spent at $65 per hour. They did say for an Electraglide they generally get three hours. Looks like I need to get the bike jacked up enough to get the tire out from under it.

I have found write-ups and videos with different ways to do this. Some say lay the bike on its side, unbolt the wheel and it will come out without removing the drive unit. Others say you have to pull the rear fender, license plate and the loop at the bottom of the saddlebag brackets. Others say the whole back end has to come off. Anyone have first hand experience?

Dave / Believer45
i took mine off the other day took about an hour (Maybe 1hr 15mins) the rear fender was a pain but I was able to slip it by (but just barely) when I put it on I might take the rubber part off (or at least loosen it up a bit) - changed both tires at home they are at the shop getting balanced - $12.50 each. A different shop quoted me over two hundred bucks (includes balance) to do the whole job I thought that was out of line, would have paid $100 but he wasn't interested.

Well first tank on the new tires (Pirelli MT66) and they seem real good so far, ride smooth and grip the corners well - I like em !!

when I did mine I pulled the rear diff for two reasons, it easier than trying to get wheel off by wiggle thing ( I did it that way once) and you can easily service the diff while it is out, there was a prolonged discussion on what grease to use if I remember correctly something about different molylube grease slinging out

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81156#p81156:jfmo7unl said:
1060dsl » Wed May 15, 2013 7:49 pm[/url]":jfmo7unl]
1060dsl":jfmo7unl said:
Believer45":jfmo7unl said:

Dave / Believer45
i took mine off the other day took about an hour (Maybe 1hr 15mins) the rear fender was a pain but I was able to slip it by (but just barely) when I put it on I might take the rubber part off (or at least loosen it up a bit) - changed both tires at home they are at the shop getting balanced - $12.50 each. A different shop quoted me over two hundred bucks (includes balance) to do the whole job I thought that was out of line, would have paid $100 but he wasn't interested.

Well first tank on the new tires (Pirelli MT66) and they seem real good so far, ride smooth and grip the corners well - I like em !!
I like the thread design on them.they are great looking tires. :rocks: