new ( to me ) bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Postwinger

Reaction score
hi,I recently acquired a 1982 gl1100,non runner.if I manage to get it running and it seems fine how far should I strip it down to restore.I am thinking of powder coating the frame ( quite a lot of rust ),so I will have to remove everything anyway.
Don't know if I should take the engine apart or dismantle the carbs. any advise appreciated.

thanks

Welcome... As I'm finding out, If These bikes sit for any period of time without any fuel stabilizer the carbs will "gum" up for sure.. so be ready for that. and When You reinstall em, have em balanced too Makes for a smoother running, powerful and more fuel efficient bike

Welcome Postwinger. Quite a job ahead stripping down for frame painting.

No need to open up the engine but refinishing the frame it would surely make it easier to pull the engine out.
Then you could paint the engine too before going in. :rocks:

A new to me bike I'd get running first to see what I have ahead in store for me also.

id strip it down to frame wheels and motor is all exposed easy and try working with it ....take timing belt covers off ..see if it will turn free useing crank bolt and wrench ...check and see if timing is right ...have the plugs out form the get go so there no compresson to deal with while checking motor out ....lots of things to look at ...

toytender01":1ve8t7vi said:
If the motor is running good now , I would leave it alone untill it shows signs of needeng attention!
Ditto !!

Also if the carbs are working well - i wouldnt be taking them apart - too many potential problems I belive in the KISS principal (keep it simple ______)

Latest posts