New To Me - Second 1985 Limited - New Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New battery and fuel filter today. Bike starts very good. Old fuel filter was a bit blocked. New fuel filter was $14.00 CDN taxes in out the door. Have 3 more on order, should be changed every two years or so.

Had already connected the Kawasaki regulator last night. Wonder what happened to the original and why the change to this one. Will probably never know. 13.9 VDC on the dash voltmeter, 13.8 at the battery - at idle 1060ish RPM. Looks good so far.

Have a fuel system light on the dash. I'm thinking the fuel pressure is not quite right but I do not have a fuel system pressure tester here with me.

More little stuff to do.

Cheers

More work done. Need a spring for the prop shaft - the one for the FD end. Rear brake rotor is not looking too good, but may work for a while. Splines looked good.

Put more gas in, and sea foam. Runs pretty good. Still have the fuel system light on.

Let it run for a while today. Wanted to see if the rad fan would come on. Hit 6 bars on the temp and then it came on. Another check in the box.

Wasn't getting a neutral indication, but did today. The more it runs, the better it seems to be getting.

Alternator has been putting out 14.2 ish VDC at idle. So far so good.

Have to put the saddlebags and trunk back on, tomorrow before turkey dinner.

Starting a list of what else needs to be done.

Merry Xmas and have a safe and prosperous new year.

Cheers

I'm here in the frozen white north, the Mrs is in Victoria with her family. Need to keep busy. The more I do now, the easier it will be when I come back to take it on the road trip to Victoria.

Merry Xmas to all.

Trust Santa was good to everyone. Turkey for the next week or two as well.

-27 deg C this morning. Vehicles started well, thanks for fuel injection, carbs in the cold are a PITA!

Short update. Had some time yesterday afternoon before Xmas dinner to do some more work. Neutral indication still working, nice to start the bike without holding in the clutch lever.

Took the brake calipers off. One pin in the left front caliper will not, will not come out no matter what I try. Steel and aluminum are not good friends after sitting out for at least 3 1/2 years, maybe more since these were removed for work. Looking for a used left front caliper for the bike - can be from an Aspencade. Any ideas for removing a caliper pin

The rotors are well worn so I will be looking for a set as well. Brakes are something I like to have in good shape.

had the rear wheel and FD off. Splines look good, were well lubed. No play in the FD pinion bearing like my pother bike. The spring on the prop shaft FD end is missing, need one before any road test. Everything else looked good.

Using anti seize on every bolt/nut that goes back on.

Only have a few more days left to investigate/troubleshoot this bike. Have a pretty good idea what has to be done.

Cheers

Have put together a work/parts list for next visit that should get the bike on the road.

Parts needed for Larder Lake '85 LTD

Prop shaft FD spring (have)
Caliper oil and dust seals (have)
Contact cleaner for switches
New tires
Right side mirror
Caliper rubber boots for pins
New/used rotors
Left front caliper
Exhaust header
Exhaust header cylinder gaskets (have)
Exhaust header to muffler gaskets
TPS Wire with connector (have)
TPS from Victoria (have)

Maintenance to be Done

Change timing belts (have new on hand)
Coolant flush

I have bought a few things here such as a new battery and shop supplies to get things going. Other than this it has been my time.

Now to keep this updated.

Cheers

Brother and I have thought about the caliper pin not coming out. Got a small ultrasonic cleaner for Xmas - put in my order a while back after reading the posts by Gerry McGovern using his. Think I'll cut out the old brake pads with a dremel, put the caliper in the ultrasonic cleaner for a few hours on heat, use a pair of vice grips to try and turn the pin. If the pin will turn it will come out. This is the plan for this afternoon for the caliper.

The ultrasonic with high heat should help get that pin out. I only use distilled water a few ounces of Dawn dish detergent and it works wonders! The highest heat is key.

Heated the caliper housing, and with the help from my brother, an extra set of hands, we got the pin out. Need a new one.

Used the ultrasonic cleaner, water and dawn liquid soap. Didn't do a bad job but not clean enough. Going to put gunk in tomorrow and try it. I bought this for parts cleaning and it is a SS tub. It did clean a bit. Will check the heat setting. May try again, can't hurt.

Short update as well. Now that I have the pin out of the left front caliper, it's a clean and new seals that I have but are in Victoria. Will clean the calipers and have them ready for when I return.

The bike is also a road bike again. Took it off the centre stand and ran it through first and second in the brother's garage. Only went 15 or so feet in gear but it worked well. Clutch did not stick.

Updated work list.

Parts needed for Larder '85 LTD

Prop shaft FD spring (have)
Caliper oil and dust seals (have)
Contact cleaner for switches
New tires
Right side mirror
Caliper rubber boot for slide pin – qty 1
New/used rotors
Left front caliper - no longer need
Pins for caliper(s)
Right side exhaust header
Exhaust header cylinder gaskets (have)
Exhaust header to muffler gaskets
TPS Wire with connector (have)
TPS from Victoria (have)

Maintenance to be Done

Change timing belts (have new on hand)
Coolant flush

Looking forward to the next time I'm here and getting it on the road. I'm also impressed that it is stock, no add-ons.

Cheers

Surprised me as well. Interesting to see how it came from the factory.

Just finished installing new timing belts. Used the old o-ring on the water pump inlet and the crush washer on the drain plug. When I get back in a few months will replace with new.

Still thinking about the fuel system light. More investigating to do.

Going to tackle the air compressor next.

Cheers

Sounds good so far. You may want to add Freeze Off penetrant to your list of supplies. Stuff work pretty good.

Probably the last update for a while on this project. Time to head south then back to Victoria and some warmth.

Put the bike back together last night. Missing the left foot peg, need to source one for when I come back. Installed the centre shelter and everything works as it should. Fuel sending unit thermistor for the low fuel level is gone, will be doing this fix later on, have fuel gauge and all is well. Checked the oil pressure/temperature function - works well and is a good reading.

Air compressor system not working - have removed and will take back to Victoria for an overhaul. Will also be able to test it on the other bike. There was air in the system - surprised me when I took off the forward and aft lines from the compressor system and air came out.

Refreshed my memory on the suspension. The PO had progressive springs installed front forks, and had the rear air shocks rebuilt. Hope the work was done properly - no oil leaking that I can see.

Seat is no worse for wear, needs an upgrade me thinks.

All lights work - another good sign.

Have my work/parts list started and being refined. Tires and battery are the big expenses right now. Have found a used rear rotor with some life left in it - will be better than what is there right now.

Very pleased with the progress and looking forward to a ride across Canada to Victoria.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198870#p198870:1ak3u39v said:
dan filipi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:26 am[/url]":1ak3u39v]
Sounds good Ernest! Any updated pics?
+1 :good: :popcorn:

Found the left foot peg. I had taken it back to Victoria and used it on the other bike. Will bring it back with me when I return.

Here are some pics of the buttoned up version. Didn't take other pictures as I was intent on doing as much as I could. Will take more when I return. You will notice the wings on the windscreen, only add-on.

Left Side.jpg
Right Side.jpg
Looking forward.jpg

Have prepped the exhaust for new exhaust header nipples. Will get done when I return.

Have a spreadsheet started to track costs. Costs to date are just over $500.00 CDN. Big ticket items to date are the starter and battery. New tires will cost as well - approximately $375.00 plus install. The tires on the bike are nearly new, only 3 years old, but have hairline cracks between thread - could chance it but better to do the change here than have to worry on the road.

The last issue to investigate and research for the problem is the fuel system light is on. Will be browsing the forums for a possible solution.

Latest posts