New Wing Owner

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blfd04

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone,

Just purchased my first Goldwing, I know about time right. I have a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade, I chose this particular year because this is he year the MC bug bit me. My best friends father had a wing and he and his friend would take us out with them riding. Soon after that I had my license, took the MSF class, and started my journey, 33 years later I now own what ignited my passion in the first place. She will not win any beauty pageants but she has a strong engine and a decent body. My only issue with her is i am going to have to put an alternator kit on her. I went out for a ride earlier and my voltage dropped to below 12, so I am doing my research on the conversions. I knew it was coming when I bought her, just didn't think it would be this quick. Enough babbling I will try to get a couple of pics in so everyone can see her.

John H

Attachments

• 00o0o_32Y0BTTVTTJ_600x450.jpg
    00o0o_32Y0BTTVTTJ_600x450.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 379
  • 00Q0Q_9zqOVkUw2Y2_600x450.jpg
    00Q0Q_9zqOVkUw2Y2_600x450.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 377
This is my second riding season with my 1985 GL1200I, my first Gold Wing. Unfortunately the New England winter took it's tole on her. The bike was stored in a building with an one side open to the weather. Among some minor problems was low voltage coming from the stator. After looking at the various solutions for hanging an alternator up front, I finally decided to pull my engine and replaced the stator. Though the alternator approach seemed to be an easier solution, I just could no accept making a hole in the timing belt cover that would allow moisture and road dirt to enter the timing belt area. Also depending on the kit you choose the alternator approach can be more expensive.
What ever way you choose I wish you the best in your repair. There is nothing worse that having the bike down durring the riding season.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177962#p177962:1mwr84hl said:
blfd04 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:54 pm[/url]":1mwr84hl]
Thanks all.
Connector? The one behind the battery or the one under the tank?

John
Welcome to the forum, yes...check the 3 yellow wire connector, be sure and pull it apart because they can look ok outwards but have loose, burnt or corroded connections, I would also check the connector under the tank although not as likely to be corroded I have seen problems there too, while your 3 yellow wire connector is apart might as well check the AC volts and do an ohm test just to be sure before going to the trouble of it all.
Good luck.

Nice looking start, :good: welcome, you'll have it running great with this site's help in no time :good: a great asset to have. :yes:

welcome from central texas after i stopped riding my 75 wing and traded my 1800 goldwing i come a cross a good deal on a 82 goldwing interstate and am enjoying it still have work to do but nothing major great bike the 1100's again welcome from central texas