Oil coolers?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea really just musing over the fact that they are good price. must be an oil pump somewhere on the bike If I think right it is an external oil pump so shouldn't be that hard to figure out a feed and return. More of where do I put the cooler.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99832#p99832:2k2j3aus said:
ianstaley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:25 am[/url]":2k2j3aus]
No idea really just musing over the fact that they are good price. must be an oil pump somewhere on the bike If I think right it is an external oil pump so shouldn't be that hard to figure out a feed and return. More of where do I put the cooler.
The oil pump is internal.

There is the oil pressure sending unit port as a possible tap for the pressure side.
There is also a Allen head plug at the end of the oil gallery right near the fuel pump.

I would think though if either of these are tapped the oil pressure would drop to nill since the oil flow is a closed pressurized system.
I think to do this, oil delivery and return would have to be done at the oil filter?
Randakk sells, or used to sell a oil cooler adaptor for the oil filter.
I think it worked together with his spin on oil filter adaptor.

I was amazed that after driving 100 miles, stopped , & I could hold the filter & not burn my hand. Just like you can grab the end of any wing muffler I've ever owned, & not get burned. Really like randakk's oil filter modification plate!!! Oil must be cooler with spin on filter, can't hold drain plug in bare hand when draining hot oil. So was surprised when filter was not so hot to touch.

Dan, Gerry, Joe - has anyone ever put a gauge on oil temp? I agree, not sure it's needed, but I just bought (today) a motorcycle camper, so I'll be loaded to the gills! Not sure it it's something I even need to worry about...... :headscratch:

oil filter housing being finned is an oil cooler ...plus the fact its right up front to get the wind ...but john if your bike has one of those after market bottom air scoops on it ...this is not good for oldwing as it blocks the air from the oil filter cooler ... if your bikes has this on it ... id take it off ...or put an oil cooler on it ....well no I wouldn't id take it off the bottom air scoop ....just makes the oil hotter ..I see no purpose in that at all .... trailer or no trailer .....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102615#p102615:36wt4ybj said:
Denver » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:48 pm[/url]":36wt4ybj]
Thermostat control's temperature of entire drivetrain does it not?
Well it controls the coolant temp which in turn controls temp of the engine, only the engine.

Every thing is inside of the motor, so if exhaust is working well, as well as cooling system, nothing should be above temp of coolant. Could be possible for another reason?

Latest posts