OK then, lets talk about the air box...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny how comments in another thread will lead to new questions.

I was talking to vegaswingnut one day about the air box. He told me he had read that not using the air box could cause overheating issues with the front two cylinders. The box on my bike was modified with 4 1" holes in the lid, but there is also a very old piece duct tape covering those holes. The PO lied to me and told me there was a K&N filter in there and there was no filter :sensored: I really prefer the way the bike sounds with a filter than without(just threw that in there, I know we aren't talking about not using a filter).

If I find out here I don't need the box, and it would run better without it, I would make this mod.

~O~

I'm not sure what your asking ~O~, Take the air box out?
I wouldn't but I would put a K&N filter in.
I've ridden a couple GL's with holes drilled in the cover and don't like the added noise.

I've never heard of the 2 front cylinders running hotter and not sure how that could be.

no ~O~ you need a filter and the airbox sould not be thrown away ....but you do need to take the ducktape off the holes maybe if there on the outside of filter area....i use the standard airbox with a new lid i made to cover just the filter top and held in place by the standard bolts and wingnuts that exposes the filter all the way around the filter to have more air access to the filter....just changes air access thats all.....others have after market filters that pretty much do the same thing.......

dan filipi":1ffibbub said:
I'm not sure what your asking ~O~, Take the air box out?
I wouldn't but I would put a K&N filter in.
I've ridden a couple GL's with holes drilled in the cover and don't like the added noise.

I've heard of the 2 front cylinders running hotter and not sure how that could be.

I was thinking of fabricating a bottom and lid just for the filter, like replacing a OEM air filter on an older musclecar with a open sided aircleaner.

~O~

That would work, but I bet you will not like the sound of the growling underneath. I put a K&N filter in a little while ago with the standard airbox and the additional noise is annoying, particularly when throttling up to get on the highway. (Unless, of course, you like that kind of sound!)

mcgovern61":8o7pucgh said:
That would work, but I bet you will not like the sound of the growling underneath. I put a K&N filter in a little while ago with the standard airbox and the additional noise is annoying, particularly when throttling up to get on the highway. (Unless, of course, you like that kind of sound!)

I really really don't.

~O~

Omega Man":2gmqa6od said:
mcgovern61":2gmqa6od said:

I really really don't.

~O~

Do you need a air box and lid?
I have one for shipping if you want it.

~O~ your photo and Joed's comment bout a small cover over the filter reminded me of what i did with my 69 chevy pickup... I inverted the cleaner cover so it would have 360degree air pull and everything I kicked in the back 2 barrells it would roar!!!!!... hey!!.. have you figured out how to add that intake in the photo onto your ride???

mcgovern61":2x3e462h said:
I kinda like that sound. It reminds me of the 68 Impala my brother had in the early 80's. It had a 327 (still one of my favorite engines) and when that 4 barrel would kick in, it was sweet. But, I am not sure how I would like it during a long day in the saddle.

I am running a K&N with the stock airbox right now. I really cannot tell much difference in the sound from the stocker that was in there. I have run it without the airbox top (I had the top off to repaint it with some Fusion Paint) and there was definitely an increase in intake noise. But, again, I kinda like it.

I also have a K&N for my bike, And ive also ran my bike without the airbox lid, Has a nice roar to it, Increased low end torque but kills the top end power if you open the throttle more then 70% You can hear/fell bogging out

ive never notice that on my bike ......i do know that the airbox on a 1000 is much bigger and taller than a 1100 ....maybe that has somthing to do with it....there was no doutb that mine ran a whole lot better anywhere in the rpm ....

Latest posts