Omega's close call...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was one of those days I just had to ride so the wife took the cager and I rode to work.

On the way home with Janet right behind me this fella that must have been 90 years old pulled right out in front of me from the right to cross traffic and make a left onto to oncoming 2 lanes. I had to brake hard but seeing the one car in the oncoming lanes was quite a ways from interfering with this careless fella's turn I knew he could proceed without stopping...he stopped anyway. This guy wasn't driving your average cager, it was one of those ridiculously tall and long 4x4 fleetside trucks for the ranch or towing a fifth wheel that stretched across the two lanes I was traveling.

I stopped 3 feet from his driver door. I started to yell at him, but didn't. The guy was oblivious and or confused. The car that was in the oncoming lanes was at least 50 yards from where he was going to merge. That is when I realized he NEVER looked left, even with me stopped 3 feet from him on his left he was looking straight forward with his mouth open. This wasn't him trying to act like he didn't and doesn't see me, he was completely oblivious. I see it everyday in Alzheimer patients and folks suffering with dementia.

Anyway, all this happened in the matter of 3-5 seconds and all I felt for the guy was sad. Even as I write this I really don't think the fella has any idea how close he came to having the front end of my 1500 in his lap.

side note: First emergency stop from 45mph to 0 in ? 20-30ft. and Crystal did all the hard work for me. Janet said it looked like I never lost control, I didn't tell her it was the bike and I about shit my pants.

~O~

Omega Man":2rhqa3c5 said:
Janet said it looked like I never lost control, I didn't tell her it was the bike and I about shit my pants.
~O~

About?!? C'mon now....tell the truth....there may not have been skid marks on the pavement, but..... :whistling:

Glad you were able to avoid what could have been a massive boo-boo. Also glad you were able to keep yer kewl.....props on that. I would NOT have been able to. You da MAN! :yes:

Unfortunately if some one wants to run you down it is pretty hard to avoid. I always think every accident is just a matter of timing and luckily there was enough time for you to stop. It just goes to prove that you can't snooze while riding you have to be ready for every possibility. Glad you are ok Randy even if your undies aren't.

"Janet said it looked like I never lost control, I didn't tell her it was the bike and I about shit my pants."

If the shorts were a little hard to remove, there was no "about" about it!

Glad you had the outcome that you did!

Latest posts