Parts questions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve81GL1100

Reaction score
I'm starting to kind of look around at what's available in the way of parts for my 81 project, which has 17,400 miles showing on the clock. I've had it long enough now to determine the following course of action, in no particular order (remember, it's not running and was last registered like 6+ years ago):
-Replace engine gaskets, primarily heads/cam covers/cam belt covers
-Clean and lap all the valves to ensure they're seating OK
-Replace timing belts and rebuild or replace water pump
-Rebuild and (attempt to) sync carbs
-Flush gas tank, possibly do a liner if needed
-Flush cooling system and replace all hoses and thermostat
-Replace all fuel and vac lines
-Rebuild all 3 calipers, new pads
-Replace rubber brake lines, possibly with braided stainless
-New battery
-New tires (they have a "6" date code, which I fear may be 1986...)
-Misc. fun stuff like paint buff-out and detail, polish the cam and timing belt covers, buff out all the chrome,...
My questions are; first, is there anything glaringly obvious that I'm overlooking? Second, I have some experience with older Honda automotive stuff, so I know sometimes they can be fussy about wanting OEM Honda parts (my son's 90 Prelude has a nasty habit of rejecting Gatorback belts and FelPro gaskets, for example :nea: ). Is there anything like that with Wings, or am I pretty safe with the usual ebay stuff?
Thanks much in advance. I'm planning to really dig into this bike in the fall, to have ready to go next spring. You'll be hearing from me frequently in the coming months :yes:
Steve

Here's another piccy for those who haven't seen it yet
IMAG0163.jpg

Cosmic black, and I think in pretty decent shape for 31 years old. It seems like it will respond well to a good buff-out and the chrome bits all polish up nicely as well.
And yeah, I'm missing the seat bracket/rear fender support grab handle thing on the back. Seems the DPO misplaced it somewhere in his garage. With any luck he'll find it, cuz the ones I see on ebay go for anywhere from $50-100....
Steve

I'm figuring no choice on the head gaskets, as the aforementioned DPO removed the left head for reasons unknown. The bike reportedly barely ran when he got it, so he felt compelled to remove a head and see what was in there. I guess he expected to find some profound guidance or something, because he sure didn't know what he was doing. Fortunately he didn't cause any damage that I can tell. Anyway, I'm just tossing new head gaskets in as a given. I also figure the carbs need some serious attention, as there's at least 2 gallons of what used to be gas (in 1992 or so) in the tank. My father-in-law had a 75 or 76 GL1000 that he let sit for a couple years, and he ended up taking it to a dealer for a carb rebuild in order to get it running right again. I'm kind of taking a guess, but I figure the time and skunky gas haven't been kind to the seals and such.
Thanks
Steve

yes im sure the carbs need cleaning the ignition too brought up to par and head gaskits seem a must if its broken down already ...it pays to stick with it till its up to par and refreshed ...like you said 30yrs old plus

Get OE, Gen-u-wine Honda head gaskets. The only way to fly. Check with this guy here on fleabay..he's got a decent deal on them, and that's where I just bought mine. If you do correspond with him, make sure you tell him a feller from CGW recommended him. :good:

minitrail69