Phase One, Complete

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
I bought my 83 Interstate in January 2009 with no intention of going naked. But, after seeing all the beautiful bikes over on https://www.ngwclub.com I decided to give it a go. My eventual plan is to turn it into a bagger like a Road King. Well, I am done with Phase One.

Here is where I started

IMG00184.jpg

Since then, I have...

Stripped fairing, bags and guards off
Replaced headlight with one from https://www.aztec8.com
replaced blinkers with cheapies from ebay
Added Walmart driving lights with ebay 35 watt bulbs
Painted the tank and side covers with Krylon Smoke Gray and Gloss Black, and Duplicolor Metal Cast red.
Replaced the fenders with early 80's CB900 fenders
Cut the exhaust off at the headers and replaced with store bought Exhaust pipe. Wrapped with exhaust tape and painted it with Flat black VHT paint.
Painted valve covers and intake runners with gloss black engine paint.

And, now, this is what I have

rear+right.jpg

rear+close+up.jpg

front+right.jpg

i like it a lot andyb the 900 fenders give it that 1000 naked look even one better....the diet exhast system realy shows off the 83 wheels

this is realy going to be nice...if the rest of the phases go as good as this one its realy going to be a knock out looking bike

:clapping: :good: :eek:k: :clapping: :mrgreen: :shock: :yes:

In Phase 2 I will paint the bag guards, engine guards and the trunk mount the metallic red color.
Carb caps will be gloss black.
I will also paint the bags some combination of gray and black. Not sure what it will look like though.
I have not decided whether to paint the belt guards red or black.
I am not sure what to do with the fork legs and stabilizer. Red, black, polished? Not sure just yet.

joedrum":1xvjlog6 said:
i like it a lot andyb the 900 fenders give it that 1000 naked look even one better....the diet exhast system realy shows off the 83 wheels

this is realy going to be nice...if the rest of the phases go as good as this one its realy going to be a knock out looking bike

:clapping: :good: :eek:k: :clapping: :mrgreen: :shock: :yes:

Thanks, Joe. I am pretty thrilled with it. I have never done anything like this before which makes this pretty cool.

mcgovern61":2on5kyvn said:
Wow, nice work! :clapping: :clapping:

What did you do with the parts that you removed?

All the various radio parts are gone but just about everything else is in the shed. I plan to put the bags, guards and trunk mount back on.

Joep":2j6brhr3 said:
why not a just keep the guards chrome?? for just a "hint" of class???
I know what you mean by the comment. I do like the way the 1100's look in their touring profile. There is a certain classiness to it. But, I am not a huge fan of chrome. I will leave a few bits chrome (the fenders, for example) but I like the look of the colored guards I have seen on various bikes. And, since it is paint and not powdercoat, I can remove it easily if I get tired of it.

Winger 82":28dls9xu said:
:cool!: Any chance we could hear them pipes :music: :music: :music: :hi:
I will see what I can do. My camera has a microphone, but it is not very good at capturing sounds outside of the human voice range. It just sounds distorted.

dan filipi":106nqcy9 said:
I think your custom job is looking great but please don't take offense, I think it ruined a good looking '83I.
I'm just partial to the dressers is all.

Have to say ditto on the Dresser look but you did do a mighty fine job on the Custom look
Winger 82 :clapping:

I belong to the ngwclub {naked goldwing club} post it over there and they will love it.I have noticed this club likes stock dressed wings more.I like all wings dressed or naked I have had 1000s 1100s 1200s 1500s and ridden a 1800 the bigger the motor the smoother they are honda does a super job.By the way bike Looks super !

jdegase":28ke0969 said:
nice bike bro.
interested in dealing off the trunk?
I also need the "wing dings" windwings to finish my bike up
PM me if interested..

I plan to keep the trunk.

jdegase":2gff3fkk said:
Andyb":2gff3fkk said:
jdegase":2gff3fkk said:
nice bike bro.
interested in dealing off the trunk?
I also need the "wing dings" windwings to finish my bike up
PM me if interested..

I plan to keep the trunk.

no problem bro..
keep up the good work, man that thing looks awsome so far.
Thanks for the compliment. I am excited to finish the bagger section, but I am also happy with it now. I guess when the mood hits to start sanding again, it will be time to work on the bags.