Pics of 77 restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know, I think the powder coating thing might work if you have a tire machine that doesn’t touch the outside edge of your rim, but us mere mortals that use tire spoons are gonna screw up the powder coating every time. Your tire spoon wears through the coating right on the edge of the rim and then moisture gets under there and ruins everything.
It will all work out in the end, but I’ve wasted a hundred bucks on powder coating and probably 30 hours or so repairing the damage.
One lives, and One learns…

I had my '08 GL1800 rims powder coated. Chipped a little almost every tire change. Mixed up model car paint and touched them up every time. Just painting with a good 2K paint is probably just as tough. Advantage to powder coat is getting it in areas that are hard/impossible to spray.

i was in the vtwin arena and built many frame off bikes. so you know, they do have powder clear. the big problem with powder is the applicator. improper cleaning, dont care about the gorunds, not pre heating the oven, etc. that said, i like automotive paint! it will last a long time in the elements, looks good, can be done cheaply, you do it in your garage, etc. good ol duplicolor or even hardware store enamel works. and you caan touchup every time you change a tire. the fancy stuff is for non riders and magazine reading customers.
What process did Honda Use? clear over color?

Latest posts