pipes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although you dont state what year wing you have,you may also be able to drill out the rivet in the bottom of the tail pipes,and pull out the baffle in the back of the muffler.
Assuming you stock mufflers are in good shape,that would still keep a clean look and be less work,but then again,Id hate to see a perfectly good set of mufflers hacked up.

Tory":2v6pk20c said:
Although you dont state what year wing you have,you may also be able to drill out the rivet in the bottom of the tail pipes,and pull out the baffle in the back of the muffler.
Assuming you stock mufflers are in good shape,that would still keep a clean look and be less work,but then again,Id hate to see a perfectly good set of mufflers hacked up.

I been considering doing that to mine. If I don't like it, I can put them back in. The rivets on both sides of mine are about to fall out anyway...they're just kinda floppin around. :builder:
I'm curious as to how it would sound...

Did it Joel. It sounds pretty crappy IMO. Blurby like a VW bug.

Caution!

The baffles are wrapped with material very tightly making them pull out very hard.
It seemed to me damn near impossible to get them back in, with that much wrap anyway.

Thanks dan,I had wondered how it would sound.I was going to wait untell I found a new set of exhuast and try it on my old ones.
I wonder if the long 2 inch tails I have will help the sound any?

I now have straight pipes I made myself out of auto parts store exhaust pipe welded to the stock headers. I rewrapped the stock stinger baffles from the OEM exhaust with fiberglass. It has a sound I like. To see how I put it together click for image

You can hear it here
I also tried the OEM exhaust without the stinger baffles for a while and I did not like the way it sounded.

I see in the one picture where you cut the pipes off at the header and pulled out the baffles.
Interesting there's a baffle in the front as well as the back. Did you use the back one as well, Andy?

I used both, Dan. The one at the front and the one at the back.

I can't get the you tube embed to work. Hmm?

i remember that video ...i just just loved the dogs in it ...and such a nice sceanery too....i bet its not looking to nice now tho .....oh and the bike sounds great to me and you can tell andy likes it .....i bet that 83 standard is a go after it ride with a gear for everything .....in the fit and trim diet he put the bike on im sure it realy moves out ....... :eek:k: :mrgreen:

joedrum":1uayg5da said:
i remember that video ...i just just loved the dogs in it ...and such a nice sceanery too....i bet its not looking to nice now tho .....oh and the bike sounds great to me and you can tell andy likes it .....i bet that 83 standard is a go after it ride with a gear for everything .....in the fit and trim diet he put the bike on im sure it realy moves out ....... :eek:k: :mrgreen:

LOL, Joe. You are correct. The scenery does not look nearly that good now. I was looking at that video and wishing for Spring and Summer.

I just recently cleaned the carbs real good. They weren't the worst I have seen, but they had their share of stuff that did not belong there. I am looking forward to some consistent nice weather so I can dial it in but it made a noticeable difference in smoothness already.

I run my 36" straight pipes without the baffles on the '78. I happen to like the sound, and it is quieter (more quiet?) than the Harley next door. :heat:

Glider - The pipes my 83 has are, I believe, the Jardine 4-2. The guy who started this cafe project cut off the turndown on the pipes and relocated the baffles. Those fell out on the highway somewhere lol. I tried running without them and liked the aggressive growl but I was losing back pressure and the motor didn't have the performance I wanted, so I took the baffles out of my (dead) VTX V&H pipes and it has a pretty decent sound with just enough back pressure to give me my midrange throttle back.

Andy - I am interested in what you have done. Did you use the cross-over piece in front of the rear wheel or is each side independent? Do you think I could modify my Jardine pipes for the same setup? I love the sound of yours.

I just used the headers on mine. I cut them off about an inch or so after the pipe starts getting wide. There is no crossover on it anymore and it seems to run just fine.

Andyb":pcdxub1q said:
I just used the headers on mine. I cut them off about an inch or so after the pipe starts getting wide. There is no crossover on it anymore and it seems to run just fine.

I've been wanting to ask if anyone has kept the crossover on their bike when installing these HD mufflers or just eliminating it all together, and have they had any problems with their bikes running right afterwards.
:thanks: Winger 82

I would be willing to bet that none of the aftermarket muffler systems have a cross-over.
To me it is just an unnecessary hunk of extra weight.

78AzWing":ssziu0ev said:
I would be willing to bet that none of the aftermarket muffler systems have a cross-over.
To me it is just an unnecessary hunk of extra weight.

Kinda what I thought, have some guys say they had to re-jet and do a few other things to get their bike to run without the cross-over, can't see why it would cause that much trouble with the way it runs, your still running 4-2, I'd say if you were going to 4-4 like on my old 750 you might have to do some tuning.
Thanks for the imfo.
Winger 82 :hi:

Latest posts