Poor man's driving light?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":39cdig3f said:
I see what looks like a motor on the right side by the tire.
Is that for reverse?

Yes. It works but awkward to engage/disengage at the moment. I used toggle clamp and return spring for this and there is no easy way to operate the toggle clamp remotely (i.e. from the handlebars). Plus I use a C-clamp to hold the mechanism down to the swingarm while not in use. Otherwise it will bounce and makes a horrible noise.

I bought a used linear slide on eBay. With that and a linear actuator for engage/disengage, I can control it electrically from the handlebars.

item.jpg

skiri251":im3kf1hr said:
dan filipi":im3kf1hr said:
I see what looks like a motor on the right side by the tire.
Is that for reverse?
Thanks, I opened up a New World with that question...Wow that's insanely cool..
Yes. It works but awkward to engage/disengage at the moment. I used toggle clamp and return spring for this and there is no easy way to operate the toggle clamp remotely (i.e. from the handlebars). Plus I use a C-clamp to hold the mechanism down to the swingarm while not in use. Otherwise it will bounce and makes a horrible noise.

I bought a used linear slide on eBay. With that and a linear actuator for engage/disengage, I can control it electrically from the handlebars.

item.jpg

skiri251":3k8hbrz9 said:
> What does the rear of the sidecar look like, does it have brake lights too?

Yes. I mounted LED brake/tail light and the turn signal.
I also replaced stock GL brake/tail light with HF LED trailer lights.

item.jpg

item.jpg
That is so way cool man...I knew you had cool stuff back there..Your a true Nomad .. :grin:

> That is so way cool man...I knew you had cool stuff back there..

Thanks!
There is one more contraption. It's called lock-out mechanism which is used to lock out the leaning motion of the rig by holding upper and lower control arms together.
It's used when I push the rig manually. The rig becomes regular rigidly mounted sidecar so I don't have to support it to keep it from falling.

Here's the current implementation.

item.jpg

item.jpg

I use one half of disk brake caliper from CB750K.

Initially it was just two holes with trailer hitch pin deal. It was awkward to use.
Then I put a toggle clamp which failed with sheering force.
Then I put alminum mini vice which failed again..

Current one still needs work. It's not stiff enough and the plate bends when the piston pushes against it.

joedrum":3c5xc465 said:
every time i look at this build it blows me away .....i know you use computer tools and drawing but the out of thin air teck speaks loud in your build :eek:k: :mrgreen:

It's been really a great experinece.

I just wanted a sidecar rig so that I can ride motorcycles more without upsetting my wife much. I thought, if I take my son with me, she would be less angry than me going alone.
It was a rigid sidecar rig with heavy steering and slow right turn speed (otherwise the sidecar lifts up).

Then I found there were leaner rigs on the net but commercial ones were insanely expensive. I couldn't imagine building one by myself first but somehow little by little I did it.

Now if I could weld decently and had better tools..

For now I need to rely on hack saw, files, cheapo drill press and flux core MIG welder from HF. (I use a professional welder for critical parts so no worries there.)

So your rig is all custom built?
That is tooo cool.

Backyard projects are my favorite to check out at the shows. Anyone can buy a pre made and bolt it on but to fabricate it all yourself now that's an achievement :salute:

Yes. It is all custom hand built by me with hack saw, drill press, files, and MIG welder. (Critical welding was done by a pro. I don't want it to break up on freeways. LOL)
Now it became the main part of my motorcycle hobby. Unfortunately not much riding but fiddling with them in a garage.

Before they started making reasonable prices chop saws, I used an old table saw with a 9" metal cutting blade. You don't want to use a good saw though, because the hot sparks will eat it up quickly. I think I bought mine for $5.00 at a yard sale.

$5 is a good price.
Now I want to upgrade my cheapo HF MIG welder. Thinking about used ones on eBay or CL. Any recommendations for brand/model?
I have 220V outlet in my garage (not sure what ampareage).

skiri251":1tlc2ht2 said:
$5 is a good price.
Now I want to upgrade my cheapo HF MIG welder. Thinking about used ones on eBay or CL. Any recommendations for brand/model?
I have 220V outlet in my garage (not sure what ampareage).

Lincoln Migpak 180. I saw one on CL a while ago for 300 gently used (looked brand new in the pics)

I just looked at this thread Skiri....and love your owner-engineered and built rig! That is the best thing about sidecaring...the frustrated engineers that build the dang things...after all, as we say, "why take a perfectly good motorcycle and hang a third wheel off the side somewhere and make it work against all odds!"

I hope we can pull off a camp sometime.... :good:

Makes me want to put up some photos of my beast....
Brian in NM

Have you aimed the light yet so you don't blind oncoming cage drivers, which could make them come into your lane at a very inopportune moment. Most cage drivers don't drive that well to begin with. :laptop:

bk2valve":1a514tph said:
I just looked at this thread Skiri....and love your owner-engineered and built rig! That is the best thing about sidecaring...the frustrated engineers that build the dang things...after all, as we say, "why take a perfectly good motorcycle and hang a third wheel off the side somewhere and make it work against all odds!"

I hope we can pull off a camp sometime.... :good:

Makes me want to put up some photos of my beast....
Brian in NM

Brian, put up some photos. I'am sure alot of folks would like to see them. :beg: :beg: :beg:

Latest posts