Power off after riding

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBarTeam

Reaction score
Had today a new for me little issue that took me some seconds to repair. After riding for several hours i stoped again to put some gas in my oldwing and a coffee for me. Then i tryed to restart the engine and by turning the key i saw no action at the control lamps, the clock was dead and the starter didn't want to turn. Electric issue, everything is off. First tought was the main fuse or a contact to it. It was the corrosion at the contact to the main fuse. I cleaned and drove again. Once at home i cleaned the whole thing to make sure it does work the next 30 years. Last corrosion issue was the contact to the fuel pump. I have to clean all electric contacts next winter, otherwise i will get more gremlins :)
Joebarteam

There was a young, obviously inexperienced Harley rider recently who joined a bunch of us for a jaunt up into the mountains. He was a friend of one of the guys in the group. He was riding a fairly new, nice custom Harley Davidson. We all met at an agreed location - a fuel station. Once we'd all fueled and prepped, his machine refused to start. I asked him where the battery was. He said, "I'm not sure." We found it under the seat and "both" battery cables were quite loose. After tightening them up, the bike fired right up. But, he was so spooked by the event, he didn't go on the ride with us. He took it home to "fix".

Funny.

I came up on a guy with his wife, each on a custom dress Harley.
Asked if everything okay, he said everything is dead. I said sounds like battery. At least he knew where that was. Negative battery bolt completely off laying there.
He screwed it on barely finger tight. I said just a sec I'll grab a wrench to tighten it. As I was walking back to my bike, they both took off.

Wonder how far he made it :smilie_happy:

Nice stories. :)
Seems to be a generation thing. Young people do not expect and believe anything more from older, know nothing about tecnics and think all new things won't have any issues because they are new. I have a son, he is now 14 and he behaves this way. I just can't understand it but i have to :)

Latest posts