problem rebuilding carbs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trat

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has run into this before? I am in the middle of rebuilding the carbs on my GL1100 that I just bought in non running condition. Everything was going good, got 2 rebuilt and started on the 3rd. when I removed the pilot jet needle I noticed the tip was broken off. It is jammed in it's hole and I can't get it unstuck............any thoughts on this? any one had this happen? I can't figure out how to remove it without damaging the carb body!

I only have a small recommendation, it might work or not...You might can try this, heat the carb body around the hole a little, then use some air pressure and see if that will help release it. If it does, then let it cool completely...If it does not drop out or come out then you will more than likely have to replace that carb body.

Attachments

• mini torch.jpg
    mini torch.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 123
I wonder if ultrasonic cleaning would break it loose, I would set it upside down and fill the threaded chamber where it is stuck with PB blaster or another penetrating oil let it sit overnight then try a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner, seems to me heavy vibrations may loosen it or break it free, after the bath some compressed air injected backwards through the idle circuit may be helpful..cant think of anything else at the moment.

Thanks guy's.....I tried heating the carb body and had no luck. If there was away to get a straight shot at the broken needle I could probably get it loose but because there is a slight taper to the needle it has to come out through the threaded end and there is just no way to get any thing on it to push it. The ultra sonic idea may work but I got lucky and found a carb body for this carb, which is carb four, on ebay and scored it for 32 bucks. Hopefully it will be a good enough body to rebuild. so I am down untill next week sometime. If that one is no good I think I know where I can get one but I might have to buy the whole set up to get it! Oh well I am into this bike right so I can spend a little on it and still come out on it. It's a good looking bike it just hasn't run in about 6 years. If it runs good I'll probably just keep it. I need me a good touring bike. My hardtail Sportster is fun but 500 mile days are just a little too hard on this old body on it!

Try boiling the carb while you wait. Look for the port end of the needle in the throat of the carb. A tiny pick may be enough to push out the little stuck bit.

Didn't try boiling it but when I heated it I took an L shaped pick and tried to push it out. I was never able to move it. Who ever broke it off must of really tightened it down hard.

Latest posts