pulse generator test

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvjoiner

Reaction score
I just replace the Water pump, Timing belts,and Head gaskets, The story of this fix is the water pump went bad replace it started bike ran but white smoke out exhaust bad head gaskets replace them and timing belts now no spark All 4 plugs check all connecters tight did not discontent any
I'm using a CLYMER manual it says to check wires in connector # [to many to list] how do you know what is what in connector not # I am trying to check if my pulse generator is bad or not I got power everywhere lights,horn,radio and I have check fuses All good

i doubt its the pulse generator in the back of the motor ...but in the left sode under false tank is the sparker units one of each side ...they should be look at for melted out back side

It not a 84 1200 with pulse generator at the back but a 87 with them up front

Things to verify:
Key ON
#4 fuse 10 amp
Kill switch in ON positon
Fuel pump comes ON
Neutral Light is ON

When you did the belts did you remove the the two belt pulleys from crank. If so did you put the middle signal washer back o.

Did you plug the signal cable back up from the gear position switch in front trans cover.

I know this sounds crazy, but does the horn work. If it does, it verifies the ground is good to the Ignition module. If all this checks out and it won't crank, I'll lead you thru the connector checks and tell you where to find them. I have the Honda Troubleshooting manual for the 1200. Let me know.

Key ON /YES
#4 fuse 10 amp/OK
Kill switch in ON positon/YES
Fuel pump comes ON/YES
Neutral Light is ON /YES
Horn works
When you did the belts did you remove the the two belt pulleys from crank. If so did you put the middle signal washer back o./DID NOT REMOVE PULLEYS

Did you plug the signal cable back up from the gear position switch in front trans cover. /Did not unplug only thing unplug was fan

Only thing remove was spark wires they are in coil right even tried to get spark with a old accel wire still no spark

1st. Test: Left of air cleaner C-121 is a white four wire connector first in line, on connector holder, see if blk/whi wire is hot. Then check to see if coils have power on blk/whi wires to each coil.

Thanks joe, these electrical troubleshooting manuals are well worth the money. I've been scanning each page into my computer, and hopefully with some computer tech help can get them put into the gallery soon.

I did this test and get no resistance on 1 gen.
clymer says: remove battery cover and disconect 4 wire connector for the pulse generator. using an ohm meter, check white, blue/yellow ( 1&2 ), white/blue, blue (3&4). resistance should be 530+/-50 @ 68deg F. is it possible new head gasket is interfering with ground path for the plugs? remove plugs, put them in the boots and try a different ground source (not the heads).

I don't know about Clymer procedure dv, the test I'm stating is from Honda. The heads should be grounding thru the head bolts and shouldn't have anything to do with the gaskets, so you should be ok there. Did you have power at the c121 and at the blk/whi at each coil.? If you have power at those three spots, then with your meter or test light check the blu/yel and the yel/blu at each coil. Your meter should pulse or light should pulse on/off when you turn engine over.