putting together my 78 wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
False tank sides primed and ready for paint!

Attachments

• 0222131019.jpg
    0222131019.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 148
Got the tank halves painted. At first they looked great then the right side paint cracked in numerous places right down to the primer. Guess I will be redoing them. At least the right side. Oh well, that's the way it goes! :crying:

Attachments

• 0304131038a.jpg
    0304131038a.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 0304131038.jpg
    0304131038.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 0304131036.jpg
    0304131036.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 127
Been working on the brakes now. Everything was froze up except for the master cylinders. What a mess. Redid all the calipers and managed to get all the pistons out and got them all cleaned up. Suprisingly they were in good shape once I got all the gunk off. The caliper walls cleaned up nicely too. Now I want to get the master cylinders apart and get them cleaned up but I can't get those dam snap rings off! The front one is almost impossible to get to and the one on the rear master cylinder is rusted in place. Soaked that one for days and no joy. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I am also working on rebuiding a 1978 & 1979 wing.
Getting the fuel tank out (6 pieces) was a piece of cake though!

please one issue

GREASE ALL AND EACH BOLT AND NUT WHATSOEVER. a jar full will cost here US$ 5.00 !!!!!

after cleaning them.

I imported 6 wings from the states (3 x 1978 & 3 x 1979) and H.... S... all those mechanical connection looks like if there were welded instaed of bolded down. I had to use soem torque values you will not believe!

I will send you some picture later on.
Any questions PLEASE LETT ME KNOW I AM GLAS TO HELP ON ALL WING RELATED SUBJECTS.
Including running on LPG !!

Best Cees
Amsterdam
Holland

look for Skype at

Cees P. Veth
HPFM BV

:thanks:

Sure no problem.
I am working on my Gold Wing 1978 & 1979 webshop.
Please don't see this as a commercial announcement.
It is only for the European market.

Anyway I am working with and on Wings since day one 1975,
so enough knowledge for all global Wingers free!

you can see more (in the near future) on

www.hpfm-sp.de

Take care
Cees
Amsterdam
the Netherlands

or o :moped: n skype

chief771":1u139ooa said:
Been working on the brakes now. Everything was froze up except for the master cylinders. What a mess. Redid all the calipers and managed to get all the pistons out and got them all cleaned up. Suprisingly they were in good shape once I got all the gunk off. The caliper walls cleaned up nicely too. Now I want to get the master cylinders apart and get them cleaned up but I can't get those dam snap rings off! The front one is almost impossible to get to and the one on the rear master cylinder is rusted in place. Soaked that one for days and no joy. Any suggestions?
Try soaking the rings with ATF and using a tiny chisel or small screwdriver tap the snap ring all the wy around before you try the pliers. They should come out much easier.

In the process of getting the bike to turn over. Key was on, switch was on. Pushed the start button and just a click at the solonoid. I jumped the two posts on the solonoid and the bike turned over. Is this a bad solonoid?

most likely yes but it could be it just needs tapped a few times and woke back up or maybe the ground wire to the solenoid cleaned. I'd push the button and smack the solenoid with a screwdriver handle.

Some times rapid on-off with the start button will cause the contacts to clean and make good contact and start working again.

Here she is with some of the dressing on. I put on the seat today and that was the first time I got to sit on my wing. Felt great.

Attachments

• 0318131824b.jpg
    0318131824b.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 88
chief771":oy01x644 said:
Here she is with some of the dressing on. I put on the seat today and that was the first time I got to sit on my wing. Felt great.
The only thing better than sitting on it, is getting wind in your face at the same time :Egyptian: :Egyptian: