Question about carb syc. with mercury sticks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got through syncing the carbs on the GL, got them real close but with the jumping of the mercury and fidgety adjustment screws they are all even or within a 1/8th inch of each other, seems the GL is a little tougher then other bikes I have used them on, design of these GL carbs maybe, or maybe these sticks are overly sensitive the slight variance wont make a difference..
Idles much better and takeoffs are much smoother, should I keep at it or call it good?

you can use aquarium air valves to restrict the vacuum a little to stop the jumping. If you are happy with it as is it can be left or you can get it a little smoother. Your call really. We can't see hear or feel it as you can.

Yea..I thought it would be tough to answer without seeing, should have taken a pic, The last time I used these were on Mikuni smooth bores and as I remember were easy to adjust and balanced without trouble, just seems more finicky with these GL carbs.
They do have restricting beads in line, you think adding more restriction may help?
PS..I have the motion pro tool for the screw adjustment so no problem there.

Are you adjusting the linkage or the air / fuel mix screws. Yes a little more restriction might be needed on these motors. The vacuum source on these is very close to the valves. Synch is adjusted with the linkage. Mix screws should be adjusted to highest rpm twice. One carb at a time and setting the idle back to base between.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122240#p122240:10k0izez said:
joedrum » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:10 pm[/url]":10k0izez]
i have never use them ...or muilti gauges...just one gauge moved from carb to carb
I was thinking about that too..I have a 4 into 1 4 screw solid brass aquarium valve, would just need to set up the tubing..Thinking I`ll ride it since it is almost perfect then after a month check it again with the sticks or set up the single gauge too.
Sticks always seemed easier till now.
I hear ya Slab...I was only synchronizing the carbs but getting the air screws right makes good sense now that the carbs are so close, I`ll work on the air/fuel mixture then re sync and maybe add more restriction if needed.
Thanks a heap.

just start at fixed carb ...move gauge to next cab ....do it like the fixed gauge ... then carb accross from that on other side then last carb ... then it seems i always still fool around with it but it dose eliminate gauge differences ... requires just one gauge and thats all i had and it was borrowed

Ya I find synchronizing wing carbs more difficult than other bikes I have worked on. When I have the goldwing rack off my bike it is a manufacturing marvel. It looks like it came off an old European race car of the late 60's.

Latest posts