Question about the starter button

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150jim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if the button is dirty or if maybe there is another problem but this is a 1980 GL1100 but it only has 25k miles on it because it sat for 7 yrs. 5 yrs in a guy’s garage & 2 yrs in my driveway/carport while I was working on the 75 random things I needed to do to get it to this point. I have a complete list if any really wants to see but mostly carb problems like complete rebuild them it sat with gas because I ran it & other things kept happen. But now it’s licensed, insured & registered and on the road for about 3 months. So it runs great now but twice now in the last month it wouldn’t start. Dead Zip Nada :help:
The lights were on, but nobody home. I mean, I pushed & not even a click. I put it in gear & rocked it then tried the starter again but still dead. I had to push start it and it started right up. After the second time, I did call a friend that is a retired Goldwing mechanic and he said “If it happens again, to use an old/not wanted screwdriver and short the starter solenoid.
But my real question is should I try and spray contact cleaner in the button or will that remove any lube that may be in there?
Any thoughts on it?
TNX, Jim

easiest best way is to open it up clean the start button contacts and lube them with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly.

I had used that trick on my 81 when solenoid quit.. at least I didn't have to be Winded to get bigger started.. lol.. you can test the starter button with a meter at solenoid plug.. put + lead on the right rear wire.. and - to ground... turn key on if 12 volts switch to left rear wire.. should be 0 volts at this time.. push button and if 12 volts probably not switch....

+1 on more than likely solenoid. I often work the ignition or start switch really quickly (lots of fast on off) this can help clean the contacts on the switch and the solenoid.
You may also be running out of brushes in the starter motor, once running the vibration makes them work out further with the brush springs help. :head bang:

Agreed possible solenoid but 2 more things, try pulling the clutch lever next time it does that, I have had mine show green neutral but it was just a little off and wouldn't start. Also try wiggling the key with one hand while keeping the button pressed with the other for possible ignition switch.

I guess you need to check all of the above.
If you disassemble starter button for cleaning, be careful not to lose tiny spring and ball in there.
Also the contacts are so tiny so don't sneeze. They will be gone in an instant.

Well it happen again yesterday but I was in a hurry & had my daughter with me so I just tried to jump it with the junk screwdriver but it wouldn't fire. It would turn over but only for a sec or 2. So I hit the button after trying every time & after about 4 arcs & sparks I hit the starter button & it worked. We had 2 other stops to make & it started up both times after that. So I'm still not sure but I do have my DVM on the bike so I can troubleshoot it next time.

Mine did the same thing.....might crank, might not. I could tap on the starter housing while pressing the start button, and it would crank. It eventually got bad enough that even slapping it wouldn't get it to crank. Pulled the starter, and what was left of one of the brushes fell out in a pile.... :builder:

If ya haven't seen it before, here's what mine looked like. :roll:

Just go easy on the tapping as these are permanent magnet motors and when you crack the magnets you may as well through away the starter :(