Questions about used GWs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cervantes

Reaction score
I have a few questions about the Goldwings I hope to see this weekend... and with any luck, buy one of them.

One is a 1984, in pretty good shape, according to the owner. One thing that I wanted to ask about and see if it should be a red flag, or just the way these bikes are. He mentioned that he took it on a ride from SLC Utah to... I think he said Vegas. On the ride down he pushed it to about 80 MPH and got poor gas mileage and burned a quart of oil. On the way back he cruised at about 70 MPH and got a lot better gas mileage and burned no noticeable oil.

So in looking at this bike, would any of you consider that a red flag? I have heard that pushing these bikes does impact MPG quite a bit, but i worry that the oil consumption may be a sign of wear. Thoughts?

The other bike is a 1975. It also sounds like a sound bike, from the description. Would the 9 years older concern anyone if it rides and runs nice? After all, even the 84 is 23 years old. but the 75 is 32! Would that concern you?

From the ads and talking to the owners, I lean towards the 75. It just looks and sounds like a good rider. OTOH, some bikes are very different in person, so we'll see.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Later,
Cervantes

okay the 84 is a 1200 and the 75 is a first years production 1000... the speed 80 should not have casued the opil to be consumed.. I wonder if he did a proper oil check before he left?? and what was the mileage since last oil change??? It could have been thin oil that caused the oil loss... the first year wings did have there own set of issues.. but i am trying to jog my memory banks as to what was the issue... driveshaft comes to mind... what are your intentions for your wing... touring cruising?? or thinking about hot rod'n in baggy pants??

the 1000s is the frist yr goldwing theyare steet bikes and can be veryfast

pro they are very user freindly ...came with points ignition ....electronic ignition availible....they are completely adjustable with spring machanical timing advavance....

very hot cams and big carbs.....usealy are finickty to get running right but usealy someting small plug wires coils dirty carbs .....but if running a lot or daily rider it could be in fine shape all wings like to be used ......

cons front forks are always weak ... but could have progressive springs upgrade....stock tires are skinny and hard to find somtimes.....primary chain from motor slaps around when ideling especialy when it not running well....this is usealy not a problem and smooths right out with a little throttle ..dont want you to think its a bad motor if you here it .....look at the motor 1000s are generaly not leakers ..maybe around the shift lever ....maybe around fuel pump....carbs could be leaking on top of motor....
and it could miss and stumble around but in general when brought up to par they will eat up the road

mine is a 79 1000 with slightly milder cams and carbs....but it runs well ....ive never had a problem staying with any harley or wing of any kind and if i want to embairess them i just crank the throttle and leave them behined that gose for the erlyer 1000s to .....getting them running right is everything......

the 84 1200 is a pure bred tourer ...the 84 is frist yr. ofthe 1200 it has very tall gearing good for cuising....the heart of the motor is the same as 1000s but with longer stroke .....if what the guy said is true it would concern me they only hold 3.4 qts. of oil this dosnt sound right ....i would have ride this bike to see whats up....all wings past 1000 have electronic ignition that not adjustable and also you cant get parts for ...mother honda has abandon these bikes and is not a help to you at all.....but there are ways to get around honda refuseal to provide parts. these bikes are not hondas anymore there ours ....

the 1200s have a weak rear wheel set up and swingarm final drive deal that was a brainless change from 1100 to 1200 ...if the bike is put the center stand check the rear wheel for play....this not a deal buster but it dose involve fitting 1500 final drive ,wheel and rear brake and you would have to discount the price i would think ....but many are fine in this regard....the 1200 has hydralic valves that and run real smooth unless one is bad...i cant speak on this part i just dont know what people do here....
the 1200 has good suspention better than previous yrs. it took them long enough to quit using streetbike suspension on goldwings .....

the 84 1200 is a great touring bike with good power and comfort for long hauls .....

the 75 1000 is a street bike with bullet proof heart and spendley suspension from bikes that weigh a whole lot less

i dont mean to discount anything im just trying to let you know what i think .....i wouldnt mine having either one or both !!!!!!

me personaly i have 79 1000 thats hevaly modified to be a great touring bike, an 82 standard that im getting soon along with a 1200 powered bobber that just starting in the planning stage ....only the 82 1100 is mother honda like :heat: :heat:

Hey Joe, thanks for the reply. If they are not busy I may see one or both today, otherwise hopefully Monday or Tuesday (depending on their holiday plans.)

I had not realized that 1975 is the first year. Hmm. Any feedback on the "first year model issues?"

I will ask more about the background on the oil burning.

I hope this is not asking too many questions all at once... but there is also a 1976 that looks a little rougher cosmetically, but is a very good price. It haw a broken Speedometer, which doesn't worry so much, but he also said this about it.

"There's also a temperamental fuel leak that rears its head in the most random ways. I've witnessed it leaking but when I get down and try to spot the source, the thing magically stops dripping. I've asked a mechanic about it and he chalked it up to cold O-rings which would then heat up after the motor runs for a bit. That would explain the vanishing leak and the fact that it only happens the first few times I start it up for the riding season. "

I am guessing that is not a huge deal, but it is weird enough, I thought I would ask if anyone, in case it is a known serious problem. In the picture this one looks a little less... inspiring, but it may just be the picture. The price is excellent, so long as I don't need to do major work on it.

Thanks for the ideas and the mentoring. I will keep you posted!!!

Ciao,
Cervantes

JoeDrum,

Your reply came in while I was responding to the other Joe's message. This is great! Thanks so much for the additional info. I will check into the progressive springs upgrade so I can see if the 75 has that. I am *really* hoping I get to ride them both today. My sister invited me to go with her family to see a concert (Styx, Foreigner, and Kansas.) So it would be great if I could ride home in my bike rather than having to bum a ride, or pick it up with the trailer! But we'll see. I don't want to just into a mistake either!

I think I have it narrowed down to these three though. Well, there is one other, but the owner said there was nothing at all wrong with it except a lid missing to a side bag. After I look at it I may have questions.

When I first started looking I really preferred the looks of the 1100s, and then the 1200s even more. Now I am starting to fall for the simple classic looks of the 1000s. At this point I think I like the looks about equally, but in different ways.

I am really looking forward to this. When I test rode the one with the brake problems a few things made me hesitant about the specific bike - BUT at the same time, I really fell in love with these large Birds! I cannot wait to get mine, change out the timing belt if needed, and go for a LONNNNNGGGG ride!

Thanks again!
Cervantes

Hmm. I wonder if the fuel leak the 76 owner is trying to explain is the card leak JoeDrum is referring to. Is that usually a straight forward fix?

the only frist yr issue that the 75 1000s had are just that they are finicky to get running right ..... the 76 77 78 and 79 have same things going on ....75 76 77 have the hotter cams and bigger carbs this is not something to worry about...the 78 79 had primary chain tensioner that was a improvment but they were fitted with milder cams and smaller carbs and comstar wheels....75 76 77 have spoke wheels tha require tubes ....78 79 front forks are a little better with tpered bearing .... i would love to have a 75 76 or 77 1000s they are truely great bikes and i dont think they have any weakness that id be concerd about except what i mention about susspention and tires in fact its the best setup on power period....

on your question about leaks its the carbs and what the guy said is proably exactly right ....if you are willing to get to know how to adjust and maybe rebuild the carbs or maybe just use some automatic trans fluid in the gas it may fix itself ...theres a thread here titled about gas milaged that speaks of ATF use read it ...that may be all you have to do to fix 76 bike ....thats what it sounds like to me if it is a good price this may be the best deal

joedrum":20e10eg4 said:
...primary chain from motor slaps around when ideling especialy when it not running well....this is usealy not a problem and smooths right out with a little throttle ..dont want you to think its a bad motor if you here it ...
This is a very good point, and something that I've grown more comfortable with as I've ridden my '83. There's nothing at all wrong with it, apparently -- it's just noisy!

joedrum":20e10eg4 said:
...mother honda has abandon these bikes and is not a help to you at all.....but there are ways to get around honda refuseal to provide parts. these bikes are not hondas anymore there ours ...
I really like that, Joe (the Poet?). :grin: Or, we are theirs.

no seafoam is not supposed to be that harsh on seal and orings.. the rings get old and when cold they gap but warm em up and they seal again.. replacing with new seals stops this leakage... and using the newer rubber compounds like neoprene they don't get brittle and shrink,

joedrum":2rrjw1l7 said:
75 76 77 have the hotter cams and bigger carbs this is not something to worry about..

So, do the milder cams and carbs translate into better MPG in the 1100s, or just less performance?

I was unable to test ride any bikes son Saturday, though the concert was great! :music2:

So I am still looking forward to comparing the feel of riding a 1000 vs. the newer bikes. When I got my V-Star I found that like the feel of sitting low, almost "in" rather than on the bike. Since it sounds like you ride higher on the old ones, I am thinking I will be more comfortable on a 1100 or 1200.. But I will need to ride one myself to be sure.

The inexpensive 76 supposedly has just under 30K on the engine. Hmm. I am thinking 130, or maybe a replacement speedometer. Are there any good signs to check for to determine if it is 30 or 130,000 on the bike?

I wish I lived a bit closer to these bikes... I am afraid they will disappear before I get there! (Patience is not my greatest strength!) :head bang:

Later,
Jeffery

patience isnt one of mine either....yes 1000 do sit higer but all it takes is to put 12" shocks on to replace the 12 3/4" shocks to fix that it will drop the bike about 1 1/2" thats what i did .....once that is done and the suspenion is beefed up the 1000s handle super....the goldwing flat motor and gas tank under the seat give them very low center of gravity, and hiwaypegs make seem like they dont weigh anything at all.....this a gert feeling when riding which inables me to go long distances in a days riding
the 1100s are somwhat the same the 1200s are considerbly heavyer and lose that feeling as compared to 1000 and 1100 but better than other bikes made for touring

the 1000 has to be lowered to get that ....the 1100 is just like that ...the 1200 is like you said a big bird not quite as nimble but these are touring bikes....

wings are such good bikes or motors that high milage is not that big of deal ....we have members like ~O~ who has over 250,000 miles on his bike and he was just commenting today about how well its running.....actualy low mileage bikes that have been sitting can be a pain to get going right ...

the 1100 dressers are a nice blend of 1000 like performance in touring package.....the 1100 standards are just like the 1000s this is what i bought a week ago and havent pick up yet ....i cant wait to get it i dont have any patience either.....im also getting a 83 basket case and 1200 motor too....i hope you come accoss something that you bring home soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nah the hotter cams and big carbs bikes are just that the 1100 and 78 79 1000s with milder cams and carbs are proably a better setup ....you realy got to get into the high rpm zone to get any advantage out of the hotter cams and carb setup....the 80 81 1100 dressers or standards scream if there runing right they have the highest rpm per mph of any wings the 82 83 1100s are more touring like gears....persoaly i like the 82 83 yrs for dreesers and the 80 81 yrs for standards they scream ....but they are all good.....

When I first started looking I really preferred the looks of the 1100s, and then the 1200s even more. Now I am starting to fall for the simple classic looks of the 1000s. At this point I think I like the looks about equally, but in different ways.

sounds like a CGW kinda guy :yahoo:

good luck on your quest.
honestly I dont think you'll dislike any of those bikes, they all have excellent qualities

I think I responded in the wrong forum... I posted this to the New Members area, but I think I was supposed to put it (at least the second half) here since it includes general questions:

detdrbuzzard":dfv58q8p said:
hello and welcome to CGWF cervantes,
Thank you!

detdrbuzzard":dfv58q8p said:
that '85 you test roed with no rear brakes has linked brakes so you were only using one front brake to stop 800 lbs of motorcycle.the brake lever works one front caliper, the pedal worke the other front caliper and the rear. i hate linked brakes

Hmm. That may explain why it felt... kind of wobbly or something (I can't really explain it) when I would brake. At first I thought it was low tire pressure and then wondered about the front forks. I test rode another on Memorial Day, a 1983, and it also felt a bit... loose up front when I braked. I was beginning to wonder if it was just the feel of a Goldwing (I am used to a 300 lbs bike!) But as I look back, I was favoring the hand brake and maybe it was just the feeling of not braking properly! If it is not raining this afternoon I am going to look at two others. I will play with that a bit.

When did this type of brakes get added? Even if it is a good system (and I have no idea) it does sound more *complicated* and I really like simple! Especially since I will have to do much of the maintenance myself!

Someone mentioned the early bikes being a little tough to keep in a good state of tune. One I am looking at this afternoon is a 1975. It looks good, has all the luggage and such that I want. But the owner says that you have to rev it a bit when you come to a stop or else it will stall. I am thinking that is a tune up type of issue. I am curious to see how bad it is. I will keep ya-all posted.

Oh, one question. Is there a good source for things like the lids to a side bag on a 1979? The other one I am looking at today (weather permitting) looks good - but he did mention that the lid blew off of a side luggage thing (are they called sidebags when they are fiberglass?) and was promptly run over by a truck! As such, we have a compartment with no lid. Can those be had these days? Who should I call to check on a price?

Thanks everyone. I know my questions at this point are kind of random! But this really helps me sort things out as I look at these bikes. I would hate to be flying solo on this one, so thanks! :cool:

The linked brakes came about for the '82 model, I believe, but it may have been the '83.
Most parts, such as the saddle bag lid can be found on e-bay. Sometimes, there will be a member here with "extra" parts, too.
I can only assume that the earlier model 'Wings are harder to keep in tune due to the point-type ignition system, and possibly the hotter cams. I have no experience in that field... :roll: Having to "rev it up" at stops to keep it from stalling sounds like a flooding carb(s) issue to me.

Hope ya find one you like soon...it's great riding weather around here! :yahoo:

The stalling at idle is most likely carb problems, plugged idle jets, they are soo tiny they plug easy if gas is left in the bowls for a few months or rust from the gas tank is getting past the filter. Sometimes a Seafoam treatment or 2 will clear them up.

The front end looseness you feel could be loose steering head bearings, could also be normal since your used to a lighter bike.
There are improved springs for about $100 that help A LOT.

Well, I test rode three bikes, and have *pretty much* decided on one... but still have to make an offer and all that. Assuming someone doesn't buy it before me, I will purchase it and pick it up tomorrow or Thursday, assuming I can get a trailer arranged to pick her up!

It is a 1979 1000 with the luggage and all of that.

The battery is shot, but it jump starts. Once running, it is a bit rough for a minute or two, but once it warmed up if felt pretty good! (though it did backfire when shut down after idling a minute. So I am thinking the carbs are out of adjustment.) It has been sitting for a year or so until recently, and the owner things the gas may be getting a bit old. Hmm.

So I am thinking: sea foam, change the oil & filter, drain and replace the fuel, and then replace the belt, and it should be good to ride!

so NOW I get to try my patience and wait a day or 2 to get it.

Crossing my fingers! :party:
Cervantes

Cervantes":28qe2dn9 said:
Well, I test rode three bikes, and have *pretty much* decided on one... but still have to make an offer and all that. Assuming someone doesn't buy it before me, I will purchase it and pick it up tomorrow or Thursday, assuming I can get a trailer arranged to pick her up!

It is a 1979 1000 with the luggage and all of that.

The battery is shot, but it jump starts. Once running, it is a bit rough for a minute or two, but once it warmed up if felt pretty good! (though it did backfire when shut down after idling a minute. So I am thinking the carbs are out of adjustment.) It has been sitting for a year or so until recently, and the owner things the gas may be getting a bit old. Hmm.

So I am thinking: sea foam, change the oil & filter, drain and replace the fuel, and then replace the belt, and it should be good to ride!

so NOW I get to try my patience and wait a day or 2 to get it.

Crossing my fingers! :party:
Cervantes

Congrats Cervantes... Hope all goes with with yer new/old wing :mrgreen: :salute:

:clapping: Good to hear!! Hope it works out well for ya. A little preventative maintenance will go a long way in keepin the old gal up & running! Prolly wouldn't hurt to check the sparkle plugs while you're at it. If it has sat for a long time, the plugs may have absorbed some bad fuel, or they may have been iffy to start with. Worth checkin, anyway. Good luck....I hope ya get it!!
action.gif

Latest posts