R.P.M

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was driving my 79 to try it, and notice the tack was slow to move, I mean very slow. Is there a way to clean or lube the tack, it was sitting for over 20 years so I guess the grease inside is dry, I know its not the cable, its new, any simple fix.

Attachments

• 100_1457.jpg
    100_1457.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 201
My 400F tach was very slow when I first got it running.It sat for 20 years or more.
After a summer regular use it did loosen back up and works fine now.

I sprayed a little wd40 in through the back (where the cable goes) and it disappeared shortly. You can't put too much in or it will end up all over the inside of the glass.

Same thing happened on my speedometer when I replaced a broken speedo cable that had been broken for a bit, loosened up after a couple days and works fine. I assume the principle is the same.

Dave

An old watchmakers trick is to take the glass off , get a small bowl of methylated spirits or something similar like paraffin , cover both items ( instrument and bowl of meths ) and leave overnight. The meths is a volatile and its fumes will lubricate any pivots within the instrument. Do NOT , repeat NOT , use a lubricant directly to any part of said instrument.
I use the word instrument to describe a watch , rev counter , speedo or whatever. It worked for an old unit that I had in tucked away in my garage for over 30 years . The darn thing was just stuck on zero and after being left for a couple of days using the above technique , cause I was away on tour , worked after a few miles riding. No guarantees but it is worth a go.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

explain the entire proccess better im thick in the head ......do you dip the tack into the bowl and cover or what ? im not clear here david

okay I ;ooked again I think I got it :Doh2: :mrgreen:

Remove the glass of the assembly that requires attention , place alongside it a small bowl of meths/paraffin ( the result will be the same no matter which is used) , Cover both with something ( a large bowl for example ) that would encapsulate the fumes and allow them to permeate the unit to be dealt with. The object is for the fumes , which have a very mild lubricating property, to penetrate that which is required to be lubricated without drenching any part of it. I just wish I could make it easier to understand. This is an old watchmakers trick to get "stuck" watches to work again. Spraying with WD or any similar fluid is a crude quick fix and could create moisture that will attract dust inside the item and cause more problems at a future date.
As i said in an earlier post ( post #15 )- there is no guarantee that it will work but what have you got to lose.

Sorry if I can not make it easier to understand . I could photograph an example but do not feel that is necessary.

Latest posts